Re: GRAVEYARDS OF PETERHEAD

  • Alison Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 1999
      Hi Alex,

      Many thanks for your kind offer of help.

      I know of someone who is possibly going to the area, this week and who will try to find the time, once again, to locate the graveyards that I am looking for. Failing that I would be delighted for your assistance.

      Alison

      From: Alison Anderson <A.M.Anderson@...>
      To: Peterhead@onelist.com <Peterhead@onelist.com>
      Date: 14 October 1999 18:47

      Hi Alex,

      Many thanks for the e-mail.

      I had asked someone to look for a grave when they were in Peterhead recently, but they couldn't locate it at any of the cemeteries. I had then wondered if there were any graves situated at any of the churches, as sometimes happens.

      Probably either the face has gone off the headstone, if they had one at all, or they must be buried outwith Peterhead.

      Many thanks again.

      Alison
      From: Alison Anderson <A.M.Anderson@...>
      To: Peterhead@onelist.com <Peterhead@onelist.com>
      Date: 11 October 1999 20:21
      Subject: [Peterhead] GRAVEYARDS OF PETERHEAD

      Hi Wade,

      I have the cemeteries of Peterhead as being:

      Balmoor
      Constitution Street
      Grange
      Old Kirkyard

      Could someone please tell me if there are any graves situated at any of the churches in the area.

      Alison

      Hi Alison, none of the Peterhead graveyards are situated at any of the Churches. The only exception is the Old Kirkyard (on the South Road, just next to Kirkburn Mill). Within that graveyard lies the ruin of St.Peter's Church (Chapel). But it ceased to be a place of worship many, many years ago (possibly since the time of the Reformation if my memory serves me).
      Of course, in "the area" there are several Churchyards. But not in Peterhead itself.

      Best Regards Alex Ritchie