Leslies of Peterhead

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 1999
      Hello William

      Many thanks for your email - I certainly had not forgotten your
      interest, and noted absolutely everything I could find about the Leslies
      on the 1861 and 1871 censuses. Are you descended from the John Leslie
      who married Isabel Hall in 1809, and had 12 children, as far as I can
      see? I am descended from Peter Leslie, born about 1810, and there was
      no Peter in this John's family, so I do not know who his parents were.
      I have been unable to find a death record for Peter Leslie, although I
      have deduced that he died between 1855, when his youngest child was
      conceived, and the 1861 Census, when his wife was a widow. Going on the
      witnesses at his children's christenings, and I can only find two of
      these, his relatives were Alexander, William, and George Leslie, which
      is why I think there were two branches of the family in Peterhead. Mind
      you, if we go back a further generation, they may become one again.
      There were very few Leslies recorded on the census films, where I had
      expected there to be many - I was quite surprised. My father once said
      his family came from the Orkneys, and Leslies certainly lived there, so
      perhaps I'll have to look there. With all the research you have done,
      can you help at all?

      To get back to your James Leslie who was a farm servant, I think I have
      a bit here which may help you. Last year, while searching in Scots
      Origins, I ordered a christening certificate in the name of Peter Leslie
      from Peterhead, thinking it might have been a grandson. What it
      actually said was -

      Peter Simpson (illegitimate)
      1864 December Sixteenth 11h 55m p.m. Blackhill
      Male
      Elizabeth Simpson - Widow of James Leslie - Farm Servant
      Signed: Elizabeth Simpson Her X mark - Mother
      Reg. 1865 January 6th At Peterhead.

      In the 1861 Census I found the following entries, which may make sense
      to you:

      Hill of Dens (District of Peterhead)ED 18/232

      Elizabeth Leslie Head Widow 29 Pauper Ag Servant Longside
      William " Son 7 Scholar Peterhead
      John " Son 5 Scholar "
      James " Son 3 "

      A family lived in the next house, and then came

      Elizabeth Simpson Head Widow 70 Pauper Masin's Widow Longside
      Mary Leslie G/Dau 9 Scholar Peterhead
      William Gray Boarder 7 Scholar Peterhead.

      And, in the next house but one

      Isabella Simpson Head Widow 78 Pauper Knit ? Aberdeen
      Ann Michael Dau Widow 57 Masin's Widow Peterhead

      I don't know if this is of particular relevance, but it certainly looked
      interesting in light of young Peter's arrival in 1864, so I thought I'd
      pass it on.

      Somewhere, some how, I must strike it lucky and find where my Peter
      fitted in to all this.

      All the best for now,
      Judy Hand
    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 17, 1999
        Hello Judy;
        Thanks for the response. I at one time thought that John Leslie and Isobel
        Hall were my g x 4 grandparents. I have their marriage certificate of 1809,
        and even added them to my family tree. I also have the birth record for their
        son John Leslie born 1810, all in Peterhead. However, and this is where
        searches become frustrating, if this John Leslie were my g x 3 grandfather, my
        great great grandfather James Leslie born 1827, would have been born when his
        father was 17. I have SRO certificates and 100% certainty about James Leslie,
        but nothing to corroborate his father, other than the name John. While it is
        possible that John was 17 when his son was born, I cannot accept that without
        some other information. Though the fact that all three, including my
        grandfather William Leslie were Coopers, is tempting information. Also, since
        Peterhead is and was not that big a town, how many John Leslie's could there
        be all about the same time, and not related. Therein lies my dilemma.
        Regards
        William Leslie

      • Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 23, 1999
          To William Leslie

          Many, many thanks for the photo of the headstone and for the details of
          the inscription thereon. Although this Alexander married Ann Jack well
          after my Peter was born, he was 50 at the time, so could have had two
          previous wives. I feel Alexander to be the paternal father-name, but it
          could have been the previous generation. If we are to follow the
          Scottish naming patterns, this Alexander would fit, but I really don't
          know.

          I had a visit from Barrie Leslie from Sydney last week, and showed him
          my research (briefly!) and explained that you and I both seemed to be
          stuck in Peterhead. He thought in my case the lack of records could
          mean the family was Roman Catholic, but he took a copy to add to his
          data base which may, some day, match up to somebody else's. In the
          meantime I'll just keep ferreting away, and will let you know if I ever
          find anything.

          Thanks againn for your help,
          Judy Hand
        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
            Hello Judy;
            Thanks for the reply. I am pleased to hear that Barrie Leslie visited you,
            he has a lot of Leslie information in his computer.
            Regards
            William Leslie

            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2002
              Hello William
              No, I have not managed to track my Leslie's back any further than the
              Peter Leslie who married Jane Smith in 1801 at Peterhead. I have
              traced Jane's family (I think) from the parish records available, and I
              have a possible John Leslie who may have been Peter's father, but I can
              only say 'may' because I have no proof. I remember about 50 years ago
              (!) my father saying that his family came from the Orkneys, but he
              didn't say which family, but, if it were true, the Leslie's seem the
              most likely. However, I'm not at all sure he really knew much about
              them, as a lot of the other details he gave me are incorrect.

              I agree with you that it seems unlikely our two families had no
              connection, and I feel if you can't find out more about your family I
              probably won't have much success finding out more about mine. I do,
              however, think it time I joined the Aberdeen & N.E. Scotland FHS, so
              perhaps someone there may be able to help.

              In the meantime, I can just keep plodding away but, should I find
              anything of sugnificance, I'll certainly let you know.

              Nice to hear from you again,
              Judy Hand
            • Mmm16dav@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2002
                William and Judy,

                I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you like
                me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also link
                to mine as well.

                Margie(Cowe)

              • William Leslie
                Message 7 of 9 , May 13, 2002
                  Hello Margie;
                  This is a great offer. I need some more information on my gg grandfather,
                  James Leslie farmer of Longside (1827? to December 21, 1857 ) or my ggg
                  grandfather John Leslie, Crofter of Longside, (no dates, no wife?).
                  I have SRO documents that prove James Leslie and Elizabeth Simpson to be mt
                  gg grandparents. The only information I have on John Leslie is from James
                  Leslie's death certificate, Longside, 1857.
                  I would like to get beyond this information to John Leslie. I have
                  information on a John Leslie born 1800 to Robert and Mary Leslie of
                  Longside, but I need another piece of information to decide whether this is
                  my John Leslie, the 1800 date seems right, he would have been 27 when James
                  was born,and how many John leslies could have been born in Longside at the
                  same time? There may be information about Crofters in Longside in the
                  1800's.
                  Anything new you can find would be great. Thanks again for the great offer.
                  Sylvia and Mike and possibly Sylvia's Mom, Netta from Peterhead will be
                  coming to a large Leslie family reunion at our house in July, which is
                  taking place in association with the Clan Leslie Gathering in Orillia,
                  Ontario. The Chief of the Clan Leslie, the Earl of Rothes and the Countess
                  will also be attending.
                  Regards
                  William Leslie

                  > I am a member of the Aberdeen FHS - I go in regularly - what would you
                  like
                  > me to try and find out for you? - perhaps William's connections may also
                  link
                  > to mine as well.
                  >
                  > Margie(Cowe)

                • William Leslie
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 13, 2002
                    Hello Judy;
                    As you may note from my varous messages, I have documented information to
                    the name only of my ggg John Leslie, probably born in Longside about 1800,
                    but I am stuck there. A am a member of the ANEFHS, and I did go into their
                    offices once, but I was at an early stage of my research. I need to go to
                    Longside and read gravestones of talk to people there. I don't know if there
                    any Leslies left in Longside.
                    Margie's offer to do some searching is great. I hope she can find something.

                  • Mmm16dav@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2002
                      How many Leslies do you want you two!! there is an A Leslie in Mintlaw

                      a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG Leslie in Longside- and the house the
                      Longside one lives in is an old one -

                      Regards

                      Margie

                      a John Leslie in Peterhead and a JG in Longside