GRAVEYARDS OF PETERHEAD

  • Alison Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 1999
      Hi Wade,

      I have the cemeteries of Peterhead as being:

      Balmoor
      Constitution Street
      Grange
      Old Kirkyard

      Could someone please tell me if there are any graves situated at any of the churches in the area.

      Alison
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 13, 1999
        I have the cemeteries of Peterhead as being:

        Balmoor
        Constitution Street
        Grange
        Old Kirkyard

        Could someone please tell me if there are any graves situated at any of the churches in the area.

        Alison

        Hi Alison, none of the Peterhead graveyards are situated at any of the Churches. The only exception is the Old Kirkyard (on the South Road, just next to Kirkburn Mill). Within that graveyard lies the ruin of St.Peter's Church (Chapel). But it ceased to be a place of worship many, many years ago (possibly since the time of the Reformation if my memory serves me).
        Of course, in "the area" there are several Churchyards. But not in Peterhead itself.

        Best Regards Alex Ritchie
      • Alison Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 13, 1999
          Hi Alex,

          Many thanks for the e-mail.

          I had asked someone to look for a grave when they were in Peterhead recently, but they couldn't locate it at any of the cemeteries. I had then wondered if there were any graves situated at any of the churches, as sometimes happens.

          Probably either the face has gone off the headstone, if they had one at all, or they must be buried outwith Peterhead.

          Many thanks again.

          Alison

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 1999
            Hello Alison;
            Try the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History
            Society, they publish and sell little books of the various
            cemeteries, showing the names on the gravestones.
            http://www.rsc.co.uk/anesfhs/
            Regards
            William Leslie

          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 1999
              Hello Alison, I will probably be going up to Peterhead within the next 2-3 weeks for a few days. Would you like me to try and locate the grave ?
              If there is no headstone, I could check the burial records with the Registrar at King Street......If you have an approximate date of death and any other helpful details..

              Best Regards..................Alex Ritchie

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 1999
                Hi William,

                Thanks for your e-mail.

                I have many of the FHS's brilliant graveyard books. However no books exist for the graveyards of Peterhead, although I believe Peterhead is the next to be done.

                Date: 11 October 1999 20:21
                Hi Wade, I have the cemeteries of Peterhead as being: BalmoorConstitution StreetGrangeOld Kirkyard Could someone please tell me if there are any graves situated at any of the churches in the area. Alison Hi Alison, none of the Peterhead graveyards are situated at any of the Churches. The only exception is the Old Kirkyard (on the South Road, just next to Kirkburn Mill). Within that graveyard lies the ruin of St.Peter's Church (Chapel). But it ceased to be a place of worship many, many years ago (possibly since the time of the Reformation if my memory serves me).Of course, in "the area" there are several Churchyards. But not in Peterhead itself. Best Regards Alex Ritchie
              • Alison Anderson
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 16, 1999
                  Hi Alex,

                  Many thanks for your kind offer of help.

                  I know of someone who is possibly going to the area, this week and who will try to find the time, once again, to locate the graveyards that I am looking for. Failing that I would be delighted for your assistance.

                  Alison