Re: Diverall

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 1998
      Hi Betty,

      Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes wrote:

      > So far I have the Diverall family starting with William and his 3 sons
      > Williamb1807,James b 1808, and David b 1811. The Bruces come in through
      > James. He married Barbara Gordon 1833 in Peterhead They had 7
      > children, William Gordon, James, Margaret,Elizabeth, Isabella, Jemima,
      > and Ann Smith. Jemima m Charles Bruce in May 1871 in Peterhead,who
      > started the Ironmongers shop in Peterhead.

      1851 Peterhead Census, District 11, page 39, No.172, Queen Street.
      William Diveral, head, age 76, born Old Meldrum
      Isabella Diveral, wife, 82, Longside

      District 11, page 40, No.176, Quuen Street
      Barbara Diveral, head, 34, St.Fergus
      William Diveral, son, 16, Peterhead
      Margaret Diveral, daughter, 12, Peterhead
      Elizabeth Diveral, daughter, 10, Peterhead
      Jamima Diveral, daughter, 4, Peterhead

      When I transcribed the census for indexing I didn't record condition ie
      married or widow etc or Occupation.

      Peterhead Deaths
      1855
      No.110, Isobel Diveral, female, 87 years, born Lonmay, 53 years in
      Peterhead, parents: Thomas Mitchell labourer and Elizabeth Mitchell ms
      Davidson (both deceased), married to: William Diveral Labourer,
      children: 1. Agnes age 54, 2. Margaret 52, 3. May died about 1806 at 1
      year, 4. Jean about 1808 at 15 months, 5. Isabella 46, 6. William about
      1850 at 38, 7. James 42, 8. David 40, Alexander in infancy, died: 1st
      November 1855, 1h PM, at Queen street, cause: jaundice, upwards of 12
      months; burial place: churchyard of Peterhead, Allan S. Thomson
      undertaker, informant: William Diveral, husband.

      1863
      No.115 William Diverall, sawyer, widower of Isabella Mitchell, 19/8/1863
      at 9h PM Keith Inch, male 88 years, parents: Unknown Diverall (dead) and
      Mary Diverall ms Sim (dead), cause: Old age, no medical attendant, James
      Diverall, son, not present, 3 Queen Street.

      > How strict or limited is it to Peterhead only--does it include the surrounding
      > communities such as Foveran,Cruden, Longside etc. These days they are almost part of
      > Peterhead.

      Sorry just Peterhead, as Rootsweb already has an Aberdeenshire list.

      Aren't you glad that Isabella Diveral picked the best year for recording
      of information to die ? I had a very inconsiderate ancestor that died
      in November 1854, he couldn't hang on for a few months for civil
      registration to start :)