Street Names

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 1999
      To : Sandy Sill

      Hi Sandy, there is no GEORGE STREET in Peterhead, but there is a GEORGE ROAD over in the Gadle Braes area.
      There is a BRIDGE STREET in Peterhead down by the harbour (Where the bridge is, strangely enough !!). However, there are no dwelling houses there, just harbour-related buildings/businesses.

      There is very definitely a GEORGE STREET and a BRIDGE STEET in Aberdeen.
      Hope this helps........................Alex Ritchie
    • Sandy Sill
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 1999
        <smaller>Hi Alex,

        Thanks for the reply to my street questions. I'd like to take this
        a step further - I have 3 very old photos that were kept in a TROUP
        family Bible that I had access to recently. One photo was by a J.
        Craigen-photographer & picture frame-maker with an address at 18 George
        Street Aberdeen, Scotland. The second photo was by a
        Beattie-photographer with an address of corner of Bridge Street Railway
        Station Aberdeen, Scotland. And the third photo just had an
        identification of James Thom-photographer in Scotland.

        Would the 18 George Street address and the corner of Bridge Street
        Railway Station address be in Aberdeen, or could either one be in
        Peterhead? Also, have you ever run across these photographers' names;
        and if so, have any idea when they were in business? The photos were
        obviously taken in the 1800's, but I have no idea when? If you have
        any other ideas about how to retrieve info. about old photos of unknown
        relatives, please let me know.

        Thanks so very much for your help, Sandy

        <excerpt>To : Sandy Sill

        <smaller>Hi Sandy, there is no GEORGE STREET in Peterhead, but there is
        a GEORGE ROAD over in the Gadle Braes area.

        There is a BRIDGE STREET in Peterhead down by the
        harbour (Where the bridge is, strangely enough !!). However, there are
        no dwelling houses there, just harbour-related buildings/businesses.

        </smaller>

        <smaller> There is very definitely a GEORGE STREET and a

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
          Hi Sandy,

          Sandy Sill wrote:

          > Hi Alex,
          > Thanks for the reply to my street questions. I'd like to take this a step further - I have 3 very old photos that were kept in a TROUP family Bible that I had access to recently. One photo was by a J. Craigen-photographer & picture frame-maker with an address at 18 George Street Aberdeen, Scotland. The second photo was by a Beattie-photographer with an address of corner of Bridge Street Railway Station Aberdeen, Scotland. And the third photo just had an identification of James Thom-photographer in Scotland.
          > Would the 18 George Street address and the corner of Bridge Street Railway Station address be in Aberdeen, or could either one be in Peterhead? Also, have you ever run across these photographers' names; and if so, have any idea when they were in business? The photos were obviously taken in the 1800's, but I have no idea when? If you have any other ideas about how to retrieve info. about old photos of unknown relatives, please let me know.
          > Thanks so very much for your help, Sandy

          As the photos suggest they were taken in Aberdeen, if they were Peterhead it would have said so. I have not read about these photographers being in Peterhead.

          Hope this helps.

          Regards, Wade.
        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 1999
            For Sandy Sill :

            Hi Sandy, as Wade has already suggested in his note, the two photographers' addresses are definitely in Aberdeen and not Peterhead.
            As far as the photographers themselves are concerned, I'm afraid I know precious little about this subject.
            I hope, at least I have been of some help to you.

            Best Regards............................Alex Ritchie
          • Sandy Sill
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7, 1999
              >From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
              >
              >Hi Sandy,
              >

              >Sandy Sill wrote:
              >
              >> Hi Alex,
              >> Thanks for the reply to my street questions. I'd like to take this a
              >>step further - I have 3 very old photos that were kept in a TROUP family
              >>Bible that I had access to recently. One photo was by a J.
              >>Craigen-photographer & picture frame-maker with an address at 18 George
              >>Street Aberdeen, Scotland. The second photo was by a Beattie-photographer
              >>with an address of corner of Bridge Street Railway Station Aberdeen,
              >>Scotland. And the third photo just had an identification of James
              >>Thom-photographer in Scotland.
              >> Would the 18 George Street address and the corner of Bridge Street
              >>Railway Station address be in Aberdeen, or could either one be in
              >>Peterhead? Also, have you ever run across these photographers' names; and
              >>if so, have any idea when they were in business? The photos were
              >>obviously taken in the 1800's, but I have no idea when? If you have any
              >>other ideas about how to retrieve info. about old photos of unknown
              >>relatives, please let me know.
              >> Thanks so very much for your help, Sandy
              >
              >As the photos suggest they were taken in Aberdeen, if they were Peterhead
              >it would have said so. I have not read about these photographers being in
              >Peterhead.
              >
              >Hope this helps.
              >
              >Regards, Wade.

              Hi Wade,
              Thanks for your responce to these questions about photographers, think I
              will pursue this question with the Aberdeenshire site. Sandy

              >>--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------
              >
              >You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
              >Drawing is held each week through September 17. For details go to:

            • Sandy Sill
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 7, 1999
                <smaller>Hi Alex Ritchie,

                Thanks for your responce to my photographers' questions; I think
                I'll pursue this a little further at the Aberdeenshire site.

                Sandy

                <excerpt>For Sandy Sill :

                <smaller>Hi Sandy, as Wade has already suggested in his note, the two
                photographers' addresses are definitely in Aberdeen and not Peterhead.

                As far as the photographers themselves are concerned, I'm afraid I know
                precious little about this subject.

                I hope, at least I have been of some help to you.

                </smaller>

                <smaller>Best Regards............................Alex Ritchie

                </smaller>
              • robert.stewart1@xxx.xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2000
                  Sandy
                  Sorry I have been ill with flu for past couple of weeks. I have a recollection of receiving a note from you saying you were coming to the
                  UK later this year - is this correct? I kewep all my E mails but can find no trace of this - I am beginning to wonder if I imagined it.
                  Please reconfirm your plans.
                  Robert