Re: Peterhead photographer

  • Val Lowrie
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
      Dear Ken
      Thank you for the info on Shivas, photographer, 50 years makes it
      hard to guess the age and date, I think the photos we have are some of the
      early ones, one with a little boy in a kilt and velvet jacket and
      an elderly lady in satin dress and lace cap and collar.

      Do you know of the other photographer Ken,
      J. COLLIER, Queen St Peterhead.
      If we can date him we might be able to bring the SHIVAS
      photos in to a closer time slot.

      Kind regards
      Val Lowrie

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
        Hi Val,

        Val Lowrie wrote:

        > Would anyone know the date of operation of the photographerJames
        > SHIVAS46 Queen StPeterhead. and another one same name,J. SHIVAS,
        > photographic artist63 Queen StPeterhead.

        James Shivas first began taking photos in Peterhead in August 1859 at 40
        Broad Street, May 1863 at 59 Broad Street, April 1866 at 32 Queen
        Street. After Joseph Collier left Peterhead, James Shivas was the
        leading photographer in the town. By June 1867 his address was 63 Queen
        Street. In 1867, a picture measuring fifteen by twelve inches cost
        fifteen shillings (75p) for the first copy and seven shillings and
        sixpence (37 1/2p) for subsequent copies. It seems that he moved to 46
        Queen Street 1874. In the early 1900's it was J.Shivas and Son, James
        senior died 10th January 1930.

        I hope the above gives you an idea as to when the photo might have been
        taken. This information was obtained from "A Peterhead Portrait" by Jim
        Buchan.

        Regards, Wade.
      • Ken May
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999
          Val,

          Sorry, no. I have several photos by J. Shivas, which, eventually, I'm
          hoping to put on a web page. I don't know of any by anyone else,
          however, there are other May relatives from the Henderson line who may
          have some. I will ask.

          Regards

          Ken

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999
            Hi Val,

            Val Lowrie wrote:

            > Do you know of the other photographer Ken,
            > J. COLLIER, Queen St Peterhead.
            > If we can date him we might be able to bring the SHIVAS
            > photos in to a closer time slot.

            Joseph Collier moved to Peterhead in May 1861 and left Peterhead for Inverness
            in April 1866.