Peterhead 1801 Census

  • millin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 1999
      I forgot to mention another source I picked up while at the FHC in Aberdeen:
      A copy of the 1801 Census for Peterhead Parish, compiled by Rev. George
      Moir. There are only five Farquhar's listed so I will give the information
      here:
      357 Backgate James Farquhar
      448 Merchant Street William Farquhar
      539 Kirktown William Farquhar
      547 Kirktown Alexander Farquhar
      in the county:
      259 Blackhouse Margaret Farquhar
      There is some limited numbers on the numbers of adults occupied in
      agriculture or the trades. If this is a connection with anyone out there,
      please E-Mail me and I will provide additional information.
    • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 1999
        millin wrote:

        > From: "millin" <scotfarquhar@...>
        >
        > I forgot to mention another source I picked up while at the FHC in Aberdeen:
        > A copy of the 1801 Census for Peterhead Parish, compiled by Rev. George
        > Moir. There are only five Farquhar's listed so I will give the information
        > here:
        > 357 Backgate James Farquhar
        > 448 Merchant Street William Farquhar
        > 539 Kirktown William Farquhar
        > 547 Kirktown Alexander Farquhar
        > in the county:
        > 259 Blackhouse Margaret Farquhar
        > There is some limited numbers on the numbers of adults occupied in
        > agriculture or the trades. If this is a connection with anyone out there,
        > please E-Mail me and I will provide additional information.

        > ONElist: the best place to EXPLORE topics, SHARE ideas, and
        > CONNECT to people with the same interests.

        I was interested to read of your above purchase. How 'complete' is the
        census report? I am wondering if it is worth purchasing as I am doing a
        lot of research in Peterhead. Betty.
      • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 1999
          millin wrote:

          > From: "millin" <scotfarquhar@...>
          >
          > Betty-
          > This is a 46 page 81/2x11 publication taken from the private notebook of
          > Rev. George Moir the Minister of Peterhead who may also have been the major
          > compiler of the census data. It was deposited in the Peterhead library
          > until the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS found and transcribed it. It has a
          > very good index at the back. Three major questions are answered: the street
          > addresses, the names of the Principal Tenants along with the Number of Males
          > and Females and then number employed in the agriculture, trade manufacture
          > or handicraft occupations. Hope this helps
          > Jeanne
          > -
          >
          > >From: "Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes" <bede@...>
          > >
          > >millin wrote:
          > >>
          > >> From: "millin" <scotfarquhar@...>
          > >>
          > >> I forgot to mention another source I picked up while at the FHC in
          > Aberdeen:
          > >> A copy of the 1801 Census for Peterhead Parish, compiled by Rev. George
          > >> Moir. There are only five Farquhar's listed so I will give the
          > information
          > >> here:
          > >> 357 Backgate James Farquhar
          > >> 448 Merchant Street William Farquhar
          > >> 539 Kirktown William Farquhar
          > >> 547 Kirktown Alexander Farquhar
          > >> in the county:
          > >> 259 Blackhouse Margaret Farquhar
          > >> There is some limited numbers on the numbers of adults occupied in
          > >> agriculture or the trades. If this is a connection with anyone out
          > there,
          > >> please E-Mail me and I will provide additional information.
          > >I was interested to read of your above purchase. How 'complete' is the
          > >census report? I am wondering if it is worth purchasing as I am doing a
          > >lot of research in Peterhead. Betty.

          > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
          > For details and to order, go to:

          Jeanne,Thank you very much it does. I am going to send for it. Betty.
        • millin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 1999