Seamen's registers

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
      Below are the descriptions of the seamen I looked up this morning. The
      questions asked are:

      Reg. No.
      Name
      Where born
      County
      Date of birth
      Capacity
      Height
      Hair
      Complexion
      Eyes
      Marks
      First went to sea as
      In the year
      Served in Royal Navy?
      Been in Foreign service?
      When unemployed reisdes at
      Issued at
      On
      Age when ticketed
      Can write?

      for Val Lowrie

      30365 William LOURIE Peterhead Aberdeen 17 March 1823
      Seaman 5ft 7ins Brown Fresh Dk Blue Marks I had trouble deciphering,
      but it looked like "1C.L. on each hand"
      Apprentice 1839 No No Peterhead London
      8 July 1845 21 Yes

      For Sandy Sill

      195119 William TROUP Peterhead Aberdeen 14 March 1829
      Apprentice 4ft 11 � ins Dk Brown Fair Grey
      None Apprentice 1845 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      13 Dec 1845 16 Yes

      195166 William SANGSTER Peterhead Aberdeen 9 May 1829
      Apprentice 5ft 0 ins Lt Brown Fair Lt Grey Scar on left cheek
      The next five questions have been left blank by the registrar
      Issued at Peterhead on 26 Feb 1846
      Age when ticketed: 17 Can write: Yes

      For Betty Holmes

      195122 William REID Peterhead Aberdeen 18 Aug 1831
      Apprentice 4ft 11ins Brown Fair Blue None
      Apprentice 1845 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      24 Dec 1845 14 Yes

      195130 William DIVERALL Peterhead Aberdeen 24 Aug 1831
      Apprentice 4ft 9 � ins Brown Fair Blue None
      Apprentice 1846 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      21 January 1846 15 Yes

      195138 William REID Buckie Banff (blank) Dec 1823
      Fisherman 5ft 4 � ins Brown Fair Blue None
      Fisherman 1834 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      7 Feb 1846 23 No

      195170 James COW Crimond Aberdeen 3 July 1809
      Seaman 5ft 6 � ins Black Sallow Grey None
      Seaman 1826 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      28 Feb 1846 37 Yes

      195190 Andrew Catto Peterhead Aberdeen 8 Dec 1831
      Apprentice 4ft 11ins Brown Dark Black None
      Apprentice 1831 (they must mean 1846) No No Peterhead
      Peterhead 30 April 1846 15 Yes

      For Angela Patterson in Melbourne and Marie Cooper in Auckland

      195152 James FLORANCE Peterhead Aberdeen 27 Feb 1827
      Carpenter 5ft 5 � ins Brown Fair Dark None
      Carpenter 1846 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      20 Feb 1846 19 Yes

      For Roderick Bain

      195155 William BAIN Fraserburgh Aberdeen 1 Jan 1824
      Cooper 5ft 5 � ins Brown Fair Blue None
      Cooper 1846 No No Peterhead Peterhead
      21 Feb 1846 22 Yes

      For Eileen Harrop

      195157 William MIDDLETON Peterhead Aberdeen 4 Oct 1831
      Apprentice 4ft 9 � ins Brown Fair Blue None
      Blank
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued At Peterhead on 21 Feb 1846

      I�m sorry, Eileen, I will have to check this one again next week, as I
      haven�t filled in all the answers.

      Again, I hope some of the above are the right people.

      Best wishes,

      Judy
    • Angela Patterson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
        Many, many thanks for your time and effort, Judy. It is much
        appreciated.
        This James Florence seems to be my gtgtgt grandfather who came to
        Australia in 1861 and was tragically killed in a mining accident 4 years
        later.
        Regards
        Angela Patterson
        Melbourne
        Australia

      • Sandy Sill
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 1999
          Dear Judy,
          Thanks so very much for the information about Williams TROUP and William
          SANGSTER. I can make a connection for the William TROUP, as of now can't
          connect the SANGSTER-William. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and
          taking time to give me this info. Sandy

        • Roderick Hay Bain
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 1999
            Fit like ?

            Thank you so much for including a reply to my Bain.

            Regards

            Rodi

            In message <37CDE84D.1EBF@...>, Judy Hand <j.rhand@...>
            writes