Peterhead photographer

  • Val Lowrie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 1999
      Would anyone know the date of operation of the photographer
      James SHIVAS
      46 Queen St
      Peterhead. and another one same name,
      J. SHIVAS, photographic artist
      63 Queen St
      Peterhead.

      Val Lowrie
    • Ken May
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 1999
        Val,

        Regarding, James Shivas:

        Definitely up to 24 Sep 1912, because I have his dated hand writing,
        and I believe prior to 1861-ish, when we have a photo believed taken by
        him of John May, with his son, George, who died about that time
        (George, that is).

        His birth and death should be registered, though. Wade might know.

        Regards

        Ken May

        --- Val Lowrie <koko@...> wrote:
        > Would anyone know the date of operation of the
        > photographer
        > James SHIVAS
        > 46 Queen St
        > Peterhead. and another one same name,
        > J. SHIVAS, photographic artist
        > 63 Queen St
        > Peterhead.
        >
        > Val Lowrie

      • Val Lowrie
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
          Dear Ken
          Thank you for the info on Shivas, photographer, 50 years makes it
          hard to guess the age and date, I think the photos we have are some of the
          early ones, one with a little boy in a kilt and velvet jacket and
          an elderly lady in satin dress and lace cap and collar.

          Do you know of the other photographer Ken,
          J. COLLIER, Queen St Peterhead.
          If we can date him we might be able to bring the SHIVAS
          photos in to a closer time slot.

          Kind regards
          Val Lowrie

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
            Hi Val,

            Val Lowrie wrote:

            > Would anyone know the date of operation of the photographerJames
            > SHIVAS46 Queen StPeterhead. and another one same name,J. SHIVAS,
            > photographic artist63 Queen StPeterhead.

            James Shivas first began taking photos in Peterhead in August 1859 at 40
            Broad Street, May 1863 at 59 Broad Street, April 1866 at 32 Queen
            Street. After Joseph Collier left Peterhead, James Shivas was the
            leading photographer in the town. By June 1867 his address was 63 Queen
            Street. In 1867, a picture measuring fifteen by twelve inches cost
            fifteen shillings (75p) for the first copy and seven shillings and
            sixpence (37 1/2p) for subsequent copies. It seems that he moved to 46
            Queen Street 1874. In the early 1900's it was J.Shivas and Son, James
            senior died 10th January 1930.

            I hope the above gives you an idea as to when the photo might have been
            taken. This information was obtained from "A Peterhead Portrait" by Jim
            Buchan.

            Regards, Wade.
          • Ken May
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999
              Val,

              Sorry, no. I have several photos by J. Shivas, which, eventually, I'm
              hoping to put on a web page. I don't know of any by anyone else,
              however, there are other May relatives from the Henderson line who may
              have some. I will ask.

              Regards

              Ken

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999
                Hi Val,

                Val Lowrie wrote:

                > Do you know of the other photographer Ken,
                > J. COLLIER, Queen St Peterhead.
                > If we can date him we might be able to bring the SHIVAS
                > photos in to a closer time slot.

                Joseph Collier moved to Peterhead in May 1861 and left Peterhead for Inverness
                in April 1866.