Simpson/Martin

  • Malcolm Simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 11:21 AM
      To Alex. Ritchie.
      Hi Alex,
      Received your latest for which many thanks.As usual a little more light has been shed on my ancestry by your local knowledge. I can't help you with your John Martins'.Deaths at sea were not well recorded until later years, seamen being very expendable. If you read Basil Lubbocks "Artic Whaling" you can get a good idea of which ships were lost each year and their home port, but very little more than the names of Masters.The only people I can think of who possibly would know more about these matters are Alex.R. Buchan who has written such alot about Peterhead and is a resident and David Dobson who has written extensively about Scots mariners.All I can say is keep digging.
      Best Regards,Malcolm.