My Peterhead ancestors

  • janicejo29
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2014

      Hi all, I'm Janice Johnston from California.  My Scottish ancestors ancestors mostly hail from central parishes (Daviot, Old Meldrum, Fyvie, Premnay, Insch, Rayne).  But the 1st cousin of my 4g grandfather moved to Peterhead and was Provost there from 1843 to 1857. His name was Roderick Gray, he was born in Daviot in 1788. Some other Gray relatives lived there for a time too: his brother Adam Gray and his nephew (also named Roderick Gray).  Roderick Gray the Elder was the son of John Gray,b. 1739 Fyvie. John Gray was one of 4 sons of Adam Gray (b. ~ 1700 Fyvie), that became farmers in Daviot around 1770, some descendants are farming there today. I have a copy of the portrait of Roderick Gray, and I'm interested in anything else about him.

            I also seem to be related to someone else in this group, as I am also a descendant of James Sharp and Jean Milne their daughter Ann, I'd be happy to share my info with you. JJ

    • David Robertson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2014
        Very interesting to hear from you.  I am a Forrest and there is a Gray connection, Bessie Gray born in Peterhead 1826 died Peterhead 1910.  She was the second wife  of George Forrest they were married on 20th September 1849.  George had a number of children by his first wife and he took on Bessie to look after them and also to have a family together.

        One of the issue Agnes Forrest can now be traced to a lady in Perth Western Australia. She and I have been exchanging details and I can easily give you her e-mail address should you require it.

        David Robertson.

[...]

      • jan boyton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2014
          Re. Sharp.
          I have an Elspet Sharp born Rathven 1828. 17/10  m  John Farquhar 1849 18/11. Parents Alexander Sharp and Janet Smith. Is this the same family? Jan