George Simpson/John Martin

  • Malcolm Simpson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 1999
      To Alex.Ritchie.
      Hi Alex,
      Yes, there must be a definite connection between Margaret Buchan and Jean Buchan;there is also a Helen Buchan in Lair C387 buried 1843 aged 66, another sister?
      Your convoluted family picture I can follow; these outside names in a Simpson lair puzzled me greatly especially the name Harriet but with your Herriot connection it now makes sense. I have now to find who Sophia and Daniel Ross, Sophia R. Watson and Archibald Davidson were inlair C388!
      In your first message you state your interest in Peterhead shipmasters well I have a puzzle you may be able to help me with.George Simpson had three sons who went to sea, John b.1826 George b. 1828 and my g.Grandfather Alexander b. 1834.I can follow much of the career of George and Alexander both of whom became certificated shipmasters but John is a mystery.
      There is a John Simpson seamans cert.no. 114275 but Certificates of Competency were not mandatory when he may have become a Master.
      On 14th.July 1858 Alexander lost his first command, the "Eclipse" in the Davis Straits and a Captain John Simpson lost the "Heroine" ,of Dundee on the same day in the same position, were they brothers? J.Simpson was also Master of the "Union" in 1859 and "Agostina" in 1860,both of Peterhead. Was this John Simpson brother of George and Alexander ?
      Interest is mounting,keep in touch.
      Best Regards,
      Malcolm Simpson.
    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9, 1999
        To Malcolm Simpson;
        I just ran across this list of masters of the Peterhead
        Whaling Fleet, there is a G Simpson as Master of the
        Traveler for several years. Have you seen this before?

        http://www.nefa.net/tables.pdf

        Regards
        William Leslie