George Simpson/John Martin

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 1999
      To : Malcolm Simpson

      Hi Malcolm, thanks for your note.
      I think you're pretty close to the mark in suggesting that the "Buchan" connection may be the common denominator between George Simpson & John Martin.
      John Martin married Jean Buchan in 1802. Jean's parents were George Buchan (Harbour Pilot) and Margaret Innes. Could your Margaret Buchan be a sister of Jean Buchan ?

      With reference to Lair 388 in South Road Cemetery, this also re-inforces the possibility of a connection. For example,
      1) In the Lair are Alexander Martin, Margaret-Jane Martin, James McLean Martin and John Martin (all children of George Martin & Christina Massie - my great-great grandparents). This George Martin is the grandson of the above John Martin & Jean Buchan.
      2) Alexandrina Martin was the daughter of Alexander Martin & Margaret Mair. This Alexander Martin is the brother of George Martin in (1) above.
      3) Catharine Martin (nee Hutchison) was the wife of George Gordon Martin who was the son of the above John Martin & Jean Buchan.
      4) Robert & Matilda Herriot (or Harriot) were the children of George Herriot and Jane Martin. Jane Martin was the daughter of John Martin & Jean Buchan.

      So, if you are still following this convoluted note !! there must be a definite connection..........this is real exciting !
      Please keep in touch..............Kindest Regards.................Alex Ritchie
    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 1999
        To : Malcolm Simpson

        Malcolm, thanks for your latest note.
        I don't know the exact connection with Daniel Ross (and his wife Sophia Fyfe). The Daniel Ross in Lair C388 would probably be a grandson. However, I do have a Peterhead OPR entry for September 19th.1822 : "Daniel Ross (sailor in Peterhead) had a daughter Helen baptised. Witnesses : George Simpson & John Martin". Again I guess a close friendship possibly based upon sailing together. Daniel Ross and John Martin both lived in the Roanheads.
        Sophia Ross died on August 8th.1876 at 70 Roanheads "widow of Daniel Ross" but I have not tracked down a death certificate for her husband. He may have died at sea ?
        Can't help you so far with Sophia Watson and Archibald Davidson in Lair C388.

        I do have an interest in Peterhead shipmasters but did not want to give you the impression that I was in some way "expert" on the subject. I became fascinated by the way the various families inter-married.
        The only thing I have is that John Simpson (aged 9) in Lair C388 was the son of John Simpson (Shipmaster) and Helen Scott. Death Cert.Ref. : 232 (Entry 35).
        The John Simpson (aged 2 months) in Lair C388 was the son of Alexander Simpson and Christian Ewen (as you probably know).

        MY personal dilemma is that I can find no burial records for John Martin (my Great Great Grandfather) nor his father John Martin (my Great Great Great Grandfather who was married to Jean Buchan). It's very likely they were both lost at sea but I cannot find any evidence to that effect. I do know that Jean Buchan was a widow by 1841 Census and that John Martin (the younger) wife (Margaret Watt) was a widow by the 1851 Census. But other than that I can't narrow the window down.

        Kindest Regards...........................Alex Ritchie