List of Peterhead Whalers who died at sea.

  • william_scheyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013
      Does anyone know where I can get a listing of Peterhead Whalers who died at sea between 1840 add 1865? If so, please send me the information.

      Thank you,

      William E. Scheyer
      wscheyer@...
    • ross duncan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2013

        Would anyone know where I get a list of whalers

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7

          Ross / William. The most comprehensive lists are in the Crew Lists held at the Maritime History Archive in Canada and UK National Archives and National Maritme Museum. There is very little available online which means a visit or asking them top look for what you want.

          If you are looking for an individual I would start with Findmypast.com, who have indexes to crew lists for the period 1863 to 1913 .

          I've cribbed the notes below from stuff I got from findmypast and added some of my own!

          These records are indexes only, but will point you to the original crew-list documents held in repositories across the UK and in Canada.

          The records held by findmypast.com are indexes to just a portion of the crew lists that exist, but even so might give you a route into tracking down an ancestor who was a whaler.

          A seaman might appear on many crew lists, so if you can find just one mention in the crew lists, you can get a route into the records.

          A ship that sailed in British coastal waters completed a crew list every six months. If a vessel sailed outside of British waters then a document called a crew agreement was completed for each voyage instead.

          Once you’ve found an ancestor in the findmypast crew lists index, you can usually order the original documents. These can provide extra information and also provide details for voyages and vessels not catalogued on findmypast It can be a little tricky to locate original crew-list documents, as they are held by various repositories across the UK and in Canada:

          70 per cent are at the

          Maritime History Archive (MHA), in Newfoundland

          10 per cent are at

          The National Archives, Kew

          10 per cent are at the

          National Maritime Museum (NMM), Greenwich

          10 per cent are at local record offices or archives. I even found some held by the Hudson Bay Co. Archives

          The records for one ship could be at any or all of these places. You should also bear in mind that not all the original records have survived.

          Step 1: Find the vessel’s official number

          To locate the original crew-list documents you will first need to find the vessel’s official number; the unique number given to each vessel that was registered from 1855 onwards. This number remained with the vessel throughout her existence. Most of the large repositories use a ship’s official number, rather than her name, as a reference.

          Official numbers in the crew list indexes

          When you view an ancestor’s entry details the field marked ‘Vessel official number’ gives the official number for that ship. Once you have this you can search for the official documents.

          Step 2: Find the original documents

          Once you have a ship’s official number you can search for her crew-list documents. Here are the places you can search online using an official number:

          The MHA

          The MHA, which holds 70 per cent of the surviving crew-list documents, allows you to

          search online and order copies of crew lists.

          The National Archives

          The crew-list documents held by The National Archives are recorded under series BT 99, BT 100, BT 144, and BT 165.
          BT 99, which contains 10 per cent of The National Archives’ crew-list holdings, can be

          searched online.

          Crew-list documents held at UK record offices

          Crew lists held at UK record offices can be

          searched for here

          View a list of known record offices

          Find out more through the ‘previous ship’

          An ancestor’s entry details will often list the name of the last ship they worked on. If you’re lucky, you may find the relevant crew list for this ship on findmypast.com. If not, you may be able to locate the official number of the ship through a ‘vessel search’.

          First, make a note of the ‘Previous ship’, ‘Previous ship port’ and ‘Previous ship year’, then click ‘search for vessel’, from your ancestor’s entry details page. A list of registered numbers for vessels of that name will then appear.

          Look through this list for the entry with the relevant ‘Previous ship port’ and ‘Previous ship year’, and make a note of the official number alongside it. You can then search for the relevant original crew-list documents. (You can also click the official number to search the crewlist.org.uk catalogue, which may contain the information you need).

                                                                                                                                                      -------------------------------------

          There are other ways in to this - Royal Navy Reserve Records (at the National Archives) list ships served on. You may also get the names of ships served on in Census returns (if they were on board at the time). Another useful site is the Crew List Index Project (CLIP)

          I've managed to find 80+ voyages for 4 of my ancestors - Dundee, Peterhead and Shetland whalers.

          I hope this helps. Please give me a shout if you'd like a hand.

          Iain Birnie

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12

            Iain:

            Thank you for your leads. However I’m looking for the period of time between 1840 - 1862 and, your leads only start at 1863. Have any other leads I might try?

            Sincerely,

            William E. Scheyer

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 14

              I do William but it means a trip to the National Archives in Kew. The BT 98 series of records they hold have the Crew Agreements for the period you are interested in. There is one box per year each with a different number in the series. Every ship registered in Peterhead (including the Whalers) will have a Crew Agreement in one of the (almost) 7000 boxes.

              Here is what I have for James Herd (my ggg grandfather) - the box numbers are in the last column (under source). You'll need a couple of days to scan through each box if you are looking for a named individual and want to make copies (which is really easy at TNA). Best of luck!

              Iain

              Year

              Ship

              Official Number

              Voyage Start

              Voyage End

              Role

              Previous Ship / Source

              1841

              Superior

              n/a

              10/03/1841

              24/07/1841

              Seaman

              ??????? - TNA BT 98 / 147

              1841

              Active

              n/a

              3/6/1841

              Apprentice

              ??? - TNA BT 98 / 140

              1842

              ????

              n/a

              1843

              Mary Gray

              n/a

              15/6/1843

              27/9/1843

              Apprentice

              Mary Gray - TNA BT 98/144

              1844

              Superior

              n/a

              13/01/1844

              20/06/1844

              Seaman

              ??????? - TNA BT 98 / 147 - George Herd listed?????

              1845

              Hannibal

              n/a

              06/03/1845

              14/07/1845

              Boatsteerer

              Superior - TNA BT 98 / 566

              1846

              Enterprise

              19541?

              27/02/1846

              6/08/1846

              Seaman

              Hannibal - TNA BT 98 / 843

              1847

              Enterprise

              19541?

              16/02/1847

              24/07/1847

              Boatsteerer

              Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1143

              1848

              Enterprise

              19541?

              28/2/1848

              8/7/1848

              Loose Harpooner

              Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1490

              1849

              Enterprise

              19541?

              26/02/1849

              2/8/1849

              Loose Harpooner

              Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 1814

              1850

              Commerce

              ??

              9/02/1850

              20/08/1850

              Seaman

              Enterprise - TNA BT 98 / 2277

              1851

              Hamilton Ross

              ??

              14/2/1851

              10/08/1851

              Harpooner

              Commerce - TNA (Dates are Lerwick dates) BT 98 / 2680

              1852

              Augostina

              19538

              22/2/1852

              21/5/1852

              Fast Harpooner and skeaman

              Commerce (sic) - TNA BT 98 / 3095

              1853

              Augostina

              19538

              7/2/1853

              8/8/1853

              Fast Harpooner and skeaman

              Commerce (sic) - TNA BT 98 / 3519

              1854

              Resolution

              19531

              17/02/1854

              3/8/1854

              Spectioneer

              Augustine - TNA BT 98 / 3931

              1855

              Resolution

              19531

              09/02/1855

              8/5/1855

              Spectioneer

              Resolution - TNA BT 98 / 4273

              1856

              Elena

              24296

              21/02/1856

              13/08/1856

              Spectioneer

              Resolution - TNA BT 98 / 4644

              1857

              Victor

              19540

              12/02/1857

              14/08/1857

              Fast Harpooner and skeaman

              Elena - TNA BT 98 / 4979

              1858

              Perseverance

              19548

              25/02/1858

              30/06/1858

              Spectioneer

              Victor - TNA BT 98 / 5308

              1859

              Augostina

              19538

              20/02/1859

              10/05/1859

              Spectioneer

              Perseverance - TNA BT 98 / 5961

              1859

              Rapid

              19527

              15/05/1859

              27/05/1859

              Able Seaman

              Augustina - TNA BT 98 / 5961

              1859

              James

              19090?

              ???

              31/12/1859

              ???

              ?? - Reference from Augostina - looked at BT 98 / 4976 but no record for the James found

              1860

              Augostina

              19538

              22/02/1860