Family research

  • sharon.reid@att.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2013
      I am researching my maternal grandparents, Barbara Buchan and George Hall Whitecross. I believe they were both born in Peterhead. I know my mother, Alice Bruce Whitecross, was born there on 4/13/1929. I can't seem to find much information at all on the Whitecross family, but on the other hand, there are so many Buchans with the same first names, it is difficult to go back more than 1 or 2 generations and be sure it is the correct Buchan line. I know my grandmother had a sister Jess and a brother David, but I don't know if she had any other siblings. I don't have any information on my grandfather. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Sharon Reid
    • W CORDINER
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2013
        Re Barbara Buchan her parents David Buchan & Barbara Buchan married 23 Mar 1893 his parents Ogston Stephen Buchan & Helen Strachan Barbara's parents James Buchan [Fittie] & Jessie Strachan

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2013

          Hi Sharon,

          I will send you and invite to view my tree on Ancestry.

          James “Fittie” Buchan is my 2x Great Grandfather and your maternal grandmother Barbara my 1st Cousin 2x removed.

          Regards,

          Wade.

          Re Barbara Buchan her parents David Buchan & Barbara Buchan married 23 Mar 1893 his parents Ogston Stephen Buchan & Helen Strachan Barbara's parents James Buchan [Fittie] & Jessie Strachan

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "sharon.reid@..." <sharon.reid@...> wrote:

          > I am researching my maternal grandparents, Barbara Buchan and George Hall
          Whitecross. I believe they were both born in Peterhead. I know my mother, Alice Bruce Whitecross, was born there on 4/13/1929. I can't seem to find much information at all on the Whitecross family, but on the other hand, there are so many Buchans with the same first names, it is difficult to go back more than 1 or 2 generations and be sure it is the correct Buchan line. I know my grandmother had a sister Jess and a brother David, but I don't know if she had any other siblings. I don't have any information on my grandfather. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Sharon Reid

          .

        • Sharon Reid
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2013
            Hi Wade.  Thank you so much for contacting me and sending the link to Ancestry.  I have also received an email from Billy Cordiner who also has information on the Buchans.  It appears that James (Fittie) Buchan is my great great grandfather.  (Is that what you meant by 2x grandfather?)  Do you live in Peterhead or in Scotland?  I live in California - my grandparents immigrated to the US in 1929 when my mother was a baby.  They settled in Niagara Falls, NY and I grew up there. I would love to hear about your family if you would like to share.  I am also on Facebook - Sharon Reid in Santa Rosa, California.  Thank you so much for contacting me.  Sharon

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2013
              Wow - Both of my great great grandfathers were Buchans and both of my great great grandmothers were Strachans. That's wild. I need to go on ancestry and see what I can figure out now that I have this information. Thanks Billy.