Re: Wemyss Surname in Peterhead

  • Diane Roberts
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013
      Hi, Kristeen.

      The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.

      Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.

      The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.

      Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.

      If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).

      Best,

      Diane

    • kirsteen.warren
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
        Hi Diane,

        That would be great, thanks

        I do not have a marriage for Janet.Jessie Adam/s and Andrew Shewan Weymss, but they did have an affair or lived together, they had 5 children that i have found to date,

        Betsy Weymss Adams 1889
        Andrew Weymss Adams 1896
        Mary Shewan Weymss Adams 1898
        James Shewan Weymss Adams 1899 ( My Grandfather) he married Jessie Logan in 1923
        George Fyvie Weymss Adams 1900 ( Died as an infant)

        You may be right and that his wife died, and he went on to have an affair with Jessie/Janet

        do you know if Andrew and his wife had any children,

        My dad had told me that the weymss line went back to Charles Weymss and helen Paton, but i never found any evidence of it not being able to find Charles Weymss death certificate

        My dads line is proving very difficult as they seem to have been a very dysfunctional family with illegitimate children all over the place,

        I would be grateful for any info you can give me and i would be very happy to reciprocate with any info that i have
        Kirsteen

        How do i send you my e-mail addy privately ?

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Diane Roberts <sunsetdi@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Kristeen.
        >
        > The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.
        >
        > Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.
        >
        > The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.
        >
        > Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.
        >
        > If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Diane

      • kirsteen.warren
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
          Diane

          Elizabeth Shewan Weymss daughter of Andrew And Mary Shewan married a James Thoirs 24 Oct 1893 son of James Thoirs and Mary Center, could it be another spelling of Thoras ???