Re: [Peterhead] The Morrisons of Ironside & Springbank, New Deer & Methlick

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2013
      Hi Ross

      I don't have any known link to your MORRISON group but I do have one "hanging about" on our tree [my wife's tree really].

      In 1801 a Janet MORRISON [a.k.a. Jessie MORRICE] married William MELDRUM in Kirkmichael, Banffshire.  We have plenty of data about William, going back to the 16th century and forward to about 100 living descendants, world-wide.  However, we have found out nothing about Janet/Jessie.

      A memoir written in 1864 by their grandson says that William died around 1827 in New Pitsligo but makes no mention of Janet.  [NB There is another family of William MELDRUM [75], spouse Janet [60], in Drumblade in the 1841 census but this is a different pair: WM & Janet GRANT, married 1795]

      If you come across any possible link to a Janet MORRISON born around 1760-1780 in Boyndie or thereabouts, we would be very interested!  She is currently one of our [many] brick walls.

      Best wishes
      Ray Hennessy

      On 17 April 2013 08:45, tullynessleturnip <tullynessleturnip@...> wrote:
      As I've had no replies with this, I thought I'd give it another shot:

      I've been researching my family tree for 7 years now, and wonder if anyone here is familiar with these names?:

      Robert Scott Morrison b.1847, Mary Morrison b.1850, Elizabeth Morrison b.1853, James Morrison b.1855, John Morrison b.1857, Alexander Morrison b.1860 - these were all born New Deer 'Ironside' (apart from Alexander who was born at Branhill/Brownhill New Deer). They were the children of John Morrison (crofter, supposedly from Boyndie) + Mary Scott born around 1822 Fraserburgh.

      John Morrison (crofter)'s parents are William Morrison + Jessie Smith - anyone know anything about these? Mary Scott's parents were Robert Scott + Elizabeth Pirie - in the 1841 census they appear to be living at 'Land of Ironside', New Deer, Robert is 60 which makes his birth around 1780 - does anyone know anything about these?
      John Morrison was apparently from Boyndie, and there are many Morrisons from Boyndie - but I have no evidence that 'our John' is from that lot in Boyndie. Do you have a link from your Boyndie ancestors to 'my' Morrisons of New Deer?

      It's possible that John Morrison (crofter) had a daughter with Elizabeth MacLeod, called Isabella Morrison b.1836. Isabella married a Charles Birnie and they had a daughter called Mary-Ann Birnie. M-AB would this be the neice of Alexander Morrison b.1860, and a M-AB is recorded as the informant on AM's death certificate of 1932 (he died in New Deer). M-AB was registered as living at 'Easter Melrose' which is a farm in Gamrie/Gardenstown.

      Mary Morrison b.1850 had one child before she was married, an Alexander Brown Morrison b.1880. he then married Alexander Melvin and had 4 children, Robert Morrison Melvin b.1888, Maggie Melvin b.1889, Mary Jane Melvin b.1891, John Melvin b.1893.

      Robert Scott Morrison b.1847 studied 1879-86 at Aberdeen University for his medical degree and became the doctor for Methlick, died 1909 of Bright's disease (kidneys). He had 7 children (his wife was Alice Coutts b.1863, her father was from Tullynessle, Alford): Edith Jane Morrison b.1893, John Alexander Morrison b.1894, Robert James Morrison b.1896, Mary Scott Morrison b.1898, George Gibb Morrison (died in infancy), William Grant Morrison b.1902, Alice Morrison b.1905 (d.1935) - all born in Methlick apart from Edith (born Aberdeen).

      Alexander Morrison 1860-1932 served in the British Army's Medical Department, including postings to Jamaica, Barbados, Hong Kong, Egypt, South Africa (Boer War), Malta; retired but then re-employed in the Great War with the B.E.F. 1914-19 and advanced to Honorary Major in 1917.
      He was for a number of years proprietor of the Moriston Estate, Strichen, and when he disposed of it he went to live with his married sister at Springbank (house), New Deer. For many years he contributed interesting and instructive articles to the press on various phases of natural history and his pen-name, 'Nightingale', was familiar to nature students - has anybody here come across these articles?

      Elizabeth Morrison b.1853 married a William Robertson 15th June 1878 and they had 9 children and lived in Market Street, Strichen - that's all I know about them.

      I'd appreciate any info concerning these, my ancestors; I'm a great-grandson of Robert Scott Morrison and can be found at ross.turner@...
      I'm also interested in finding living relations, for instance, I believe there are Melvins living somewhere in Canada.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          Peterhead-digest@yahoogroups.com
          Peterhead-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ross Turner
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2013
        Thanks for your quick reply!
        I came across a lass in New Zealand a couple of months ago, she had been looking at the 'Boyndie Morrisons' fairly intently and I printed her list out, it's beside me now - there is no Janet Morrison matching your description.
        When I was in the National records Office in Edinburgh in Nov & Dec 2012 I had a rummage around for John Morrison & William Morrison (John's father) but found nothing. According to the birth certificate of James Morrison b.1855 John Morrison (his father) was married to Mary Scott in New Deer 1848; this information was supplied by Mary Scott's father Robert Scott. The New Deer marriage records are missing for that period. John was born around 1818-19?
        It could well be that the our link to any other Boyndie Morrisons will never be proved as records may simply not exist. If I lived closer to Edinburgh I'd be inclined to spend another day in the NRO looking at the Boyndie Morrisons, but I live in Finland :)
        If there's anyone out there who has thoroughly researched the Boyndie Morrisons and can point to 'my' William & John, and to 'your' Janet, please let us know!
      • Ray Hennessy