Re: Collie/Dickie

  • bruce4204
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2013
      Thanks for the information. I had Charles Christian's mother in law as Elizabeth Elliot but Elrick sounds more like it. What is the Certificate of Service? Was this in the Merchant Service and where can I get details for the other sailors in my ancestry?
      Thanks Bruce

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex-jean.ritchie@...> wrote:

      > Hi THere, I'm not really answering your question, but here's a little information on Charles Christian which might be of interest to you :
      >
      > CHARLES CHRISTIAN (Certificate of Service : 37544)
      >
      > Born : May 6th.1813, son of Charles Christian (Sailmaker – born Overseas) & Mary Cullen
      >
      > Married : Isabella Duff, daughter of James Duff (Farmer) & Elizabeth Elrick on April 12th.1840 (She died October 16th.1887 (Death Certificate : 232/1 (212))
      > Son James born February 17th.1841
      >
      > Died : January 13th.1874 (Aged 60) (Death Certificate : 232 (10) - Occupation – Innkeeper)
      >
      > Residences :
      > 1841 - Shiprow
      > 1851 - Crooked Lane ("Sailmaker")
      > 1861 - 1 Crooked Lane
      > 1871 - 1 Crooked Lane ("Vintner")
      >

      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "bruce4204" <bruce4204@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am new to this group and am researching my Collie and Dickie ancestors. The Dickie ones seem to be based in New Deer and I don't know if that is within the scope of this group. The Collie ones were Peterhead based. One I am particularly interested in is Charles Christian born about 1814 who married Isabella Duff on 12-4-1840.
      > > He is shown on the 1841 census as living at Shiprown with his wife and his parents. His father also called Charles Christian was a Sail Maker and was born in Foreign Parts. Does anyone know where the foreign parts were. Since he married Mary Cullen I guess he came to Peterhead before he was married.
      > > I am also interested in the postings about the "Rosebud" as my grandfather was born on board that ship in the Indian Ocean.
      > > Thanks

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
        Hi Bruce,
        The Certificate of Service was the qualification which indicated that the individual was a Shipmaster or Mate. It was based on the person's proven ability & experience.
        This changed in 1844-45 when a formal examination was introduced to replace the "Certificate of Service". From 1844-45 onwards the qualification gained was a "Certificate of Competency". There were examinations for the positions of "Mate" and well as for "Master".
        The "FindMyPast" website (subscription) enables you to search the merchant navy records for Masters/Mates etc.
        I have quite a lot of information on Peterhead Shipmasters, so maybe I could help you with specific names ? (But it's shipmasters only that I have).

        Alex. Ritchie

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "bruce4204" <bruce4204@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the information. I had Charles Christian's mother in law as Elizabeth Elliot but Elrick sounds more like it. What is the Certificate of Service? Was this in the Merchant Service and where can I get details for the other sailors in my ancestry?
        > Thanks Bruce
        >
        > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex" <alex-jean.ritchie@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi THere, I'm not really answering your question, but here's a little information on Charles Christian which might be of interest to you :
        > >
        > > CHARLES CHRISTIAN (Certificate of Service : 37544)
        > >
        > > Born : May 6th.1813, son of Charles Christian (Sailmaker – born Overseas) & Mary Cullen
        > >
        > > Married : Isabella Duff, daughter of James Duff (Farmer) & Elizabeth Elrick on April 12th.1840 (She died October 16th.1887 (Death Certificate : 232/1 (212))
        > > Son James born February 17th.1841
        > >
        > > Died : January 13th.1874 (Aged 60) (Death Certificate : 232 (10) - Occupation – Innkeeper)
        > >
        > > Residences :
        > > 1841 - Shiprow
        > > 1851 - Crooked Lane ("Sailmaker")
        > > 1861 - 1 Crooked Lane
        > > 1871 - 1 Crooked Lane ("Vintner")
        > >

        > > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "bruce4204" <bruce4204@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I am new to this group and am researching my Collie and Dickie ancestors. The Dickie ones seem to be based in New Deer and I don't know if that is within the scope of this group. The Collie ones were Peterhead based. One I am particularly interested in is Charles Christian born about 1814 who married Isabella Duff on 12-4-1840.
        > > > He is shown on the 1841 census as living at Shiprown with his wife and his parents. His father also called Charles Christian was a Sail Maker and was born in Foreign Parts. Does anyone know where the foreign parts were. Since he married Mary Cullen I guess he came to Peterhead before he was married.
        > > > I am also interested in the postings about the "Rosebud" as my grandfather was born on board that ship in the Indian Ocean.
        > > > Thanks

      • bruce4204
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
          Hi Alex
          Thanks for that. I have the Master/Mate certificates for all the masters I know of. John Collie, my paternal great grandfather, his brother James and his sons Benjamin and James Alexander. Also my grandmother's father Alexander Christian and his brother James and their father Charles. I believe James Alexander was commodore of the Anglo American fleet do you have any details?