Re: William Robb & Mary Slessor

  • megolithicmatt
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2013
      Hi Anne,

      Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if there's any relation between Mary Ann Slessor and my Mary Slessor. My first post to this group had too much information in it and it became needlessly complicated.

      All that I am sure of is that I have a William Robb who married a Mary Slessor and that they likely came from somewhere in or around Peterhead. They were married by 1837 - then living in Peterhead - and died before 1861.

      Have you come across a Mary Slessor born on or before 1821 around Peterhead by any chance?

      Thanks,

      Matthew Davidson

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <geddes_anne@...> wrote:

      > Hi Matthew
      >
      > The Mary Ann Slessor you mention born 2nd Oct 1842 was born to Robert Slessor and Ann Davidson. Does this ring any bells with you?
      >
      > I don't seem to have the other people you mention on my family tree - but if you recognise Mary Ann's parents - I will dig a bit deeper
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Anne (Shanks) Geddes
      >
      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "megolithicmatt" <megolithicmatt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I wonder if someone can help shed some light on these two people whom I believe were born in or around Peterhead. Their son, William (b. 30th April 1837 Peterhead, d. 27th August 1906 Aberdeen), my 3rd G-Grandfather, married Margaret Ann Grant on the 25th May 1861 in Aberdeen. He was a comb maker. Both of his parents were listed as deceased in the marriage certificate. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
      > >
      > > I have possible death dates - 26th December 1857 at St Catherine's, Peterhead for William Snr aged 55, and 15th April 1848 at Kirkton, Peterhead for Mary age 48. Given the popularity of the name William Robb in Peterhead about that time I'm not relying on this, and the Slessor certificate didn't mention the name Robb.
      > >
      > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

      > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
      > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
      > > before William Robb and David Craig"
      > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
      > >
      > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Matthew Davidson

    • Anne Geddes
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013

        Hi Liz

        I am afraid that I can find no link to your William Watt Geddes & Anne Thomson, so far, sorry

        Cheers

        Anne (Shanks) Geddes

        I have posted an inquiry for a Kemp family member and when reading this email, your Geddes name caught my interest.  Harry Kemp, born June 28 1884 married Mary Ann Duncan Geddes, daughter of William Watt Geddes and Anne Thomson in Peterhead, Feb 7, 1917.  Harry was the son of James Romanies Kemp and Cecilia Lindsay Dempster Kemp. Mary's siblings that I have found were William Geddes and Alexander Paterson Geddes.  Harry passed away September 6, 1954 in Peterhead and the only information I have on Mary's death is 1979.  If this information is familiar to you, I would love to share information,

        Regards
        Liz Dempster
        Ontario Canada

        --- In mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com, "megolithicmatt" <megolithicmatt@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I wonder if someone can help shed some light on these two people whom I believe were born in or around Peterhead. Their son, William (b. 30th April 1837 Peterhead, d. 27th August 1906 Aberdeen), my 3rd G-Grandfather, married Margaret Ann Grant on the 25th May 1861 in Aberdeen. He was a comb maker. Both of his parents were listed as deceased in the marriage certificate. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
        >
        > I have possible death dates - 26th December 1857 at St Catherine's, Peterhead for William Snr aged 55, and 15th April 1848 at Kirkton, Peterhead for Mary age 48. Given the popularity of the name William Robb in Peterhead about that time I'm not relying on this, and the Slessor certificate didn't mention the name Robb.
        >
        > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

        > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
        > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
        > before William Robb and David Craig"
        > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
        >
        > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Matthew Davidson

      • Anne Geddes
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013

          Hi Matthew

          The earliest Mary Slessor I have was born 1814 and married a John Wallace around 1840

          Cheers

          Anne (Shanks) Geddes

          Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if there's any relation between Mary Ann Slessor and my Mary Slessor. My first post to this group had too much information in it and it became needlessly complicated.

          All that I am sure of is that I have a William Robb who married a Mary Slessor and that they likely came from somewhere in or around Peterhead. They were married by 1837 - then living in Peterhead - and died before 1861.

          Have you come across a Mary Slessor born on or before 1821 around Peterhead by any chance?

          Thanks,

          Matthew Davidson

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Anne" <geddes_anne@...> wrote:

          > Hi Matthew
          >
          > The Mary Ann Slessor you mention born 2nd Oct 1842 was born to Robert Slessor and Ann Davidson. Does this ring any bells with you?
          >
          > I don't seem to have the other people you mention on my family tree - but if you recognise Mary Ann's parents - I will dig a bit deeper
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Anne (Shanks) Geddes
          >
          > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "megolithicmatt" <megolithicmatt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I wonder if someone can help shed some light on these two people whom I believe were born in or around Peterhead. Their son, William (b. 30th April 1837 Peterhead, d. 27th August 1906 Aberdeen), my 3rd G-Grandfather, married Margaret Ann Grant on the 25th May 1861 in Aberdeen. He was a comb maker. Both of his parents were listed as deceased in the marriage certificate. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
          > >
          > > I have possible death dates - 26th December 1857 at St Catherine's, Peterhead for William Snr aged 55, and 15th April 1848 at Kirkton, Peterhead for Mary age 48. Given the popularity of the name William Robb in Peterhead about that time I'm not relying on this, and the Slessor certificate didn't mention the name Robb.
          > >
          > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

          > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
          > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
          > > before William Robb and David Craig"
          > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
          > >
          > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Matthew Davidson

        • Mopar Man
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013

            If you’re referencing the couple I think you are, I’m descended from them. I have Mary Slessor (b ~1815, d 20 Mar 1895) marrying John Wallace (b 8 Sep 1810, d 17 Sep 1871). They were married on 28 Oct 1838 in Peterhead.

> [...]

            > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

            > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
            > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
            > > before William Robb and David Craig"
            > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
            > >
            > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.

          • Anne Geddes
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013

              Hi Matthew

              Mary Wallace - the daughter of John Wallace and Mary Slessor married William Kemp in 1873. William Kemp's 1st wife Mary Thomson was my husband's great grand aunt

              Cheers

              Anne (Shanks) Geddes

> [...]

              > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

              > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
              > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
              > > before William Robb and David Craig"
              > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
              > >
              > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.

            • Elizebeth Dempster
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
                Thank you Anne, if you ever find a connection, I would like very much to know.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013

                  John Wallace is my 2nd great grandfather via his son Joseph and his son John.

> [...]

                  > > I can't find a marriage date for William and Mary, but I assume it was in the late 1830s. There are too many William Robb births/deaths to choose from, especially as I'm not sure of his age at death. I have a possible birth date of 15th April 1819 for Mary Slessor at Old Deer, to Basil Slessor and Elizabeth Ligertwood. Another Mary Slessor was born in Longside in 1823 but she would be far too young.

                  > > "Robert Slessor, Seaman in Peterhead [had] a dau Mary Ann
                  > > born 2 Oct 1842 bap 23 Oct 1842
                  > > before William Robb and David Craig"
                  > > If William had married into this Slessor family then he could easily have been a witness for the birth of this child, but if he married into the Old Deer Slessors then the name may just be coincidence.
                  > >
                  > > I mainly use Ancestry.com and ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk for research.

                • megolithicmatt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 6, 2013
                    An update on this - I first found the birthplaces for William and Mary in multiple census results. However, I've since found that there were two William and Mary Robb families in Aberdeen at the same time with the same children names and roughly the same ages. The differences were their occupations, places of birth and addresses (these also being quite close by...).

                    I've finally found the correct family and the parents were not from the Peterhead area.

                    Sorry about all the confusion! Thanks for the help, too.

                    - Matthew