RE: [Peterhead] Re: Re false emails

  • Alex MacPhee
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
      I suspect these incidents aren't password-compromises, but accesses gained by malware to contact lists. I've had them too, and it's happened to all sorts of accounts, from e-mail to Facebook. It'll pass. As a routine, though, one should aim for a good strength password, which includes a mix of letters and numbers, in combinations that don't resemble words that could be found in a dictionary. Of course, that can make it difficult to remember, so one method is to choose a phrase, say a line or two from a favourite poem, and select the first letter from each word of the phrase to make up an acrostic. So a password might be

      lottcnihwbatb

      if your favourite poem was Housman's  'Loveliest of trees'. You could then make a few letter/number substitutions, 0 for o, 1 for i, and so on, giving

      l0ttcn1hwbatb

      Alex