Re: Wemyss Surname in Peterhead

  • Kirsteen Warren
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 6, 2013
      Hi

      Yes i had seen that, and wondered if this could actually be Mary weir,

      I have found no children's births for Mary Weir and Charles, which made me wonder if they ever married, the only reaso i kow the parents is that they were listed o Charles and Mary Shewans marriage certificate,
      I still wonder if Charles was the son of Charles Weymss and Helen Paton

      I have seen one family tree stating that he was, but without documentation i am rather reluctant to add them to my tree as i would hate to add it the have to remove inaccurate information

      on Charles junior marriage he is listed as living in peterhead and was a blacksmith his father was listed as a farrier, and Charles who died in

      I will keep looking   and perhaps i will one day be able to go further back on this line,

      I do not think any of my weymss line went to Australia, though saying that i have only recently started to concentrate on the name so any help would be appreciated,

    • Diane Roberts
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
        I have done some research on Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan as Mary Shewan is the sister of Anne Shewan..  Anne married Murdoch Campbell and that is my line.

        I have some information on the marriages of Charles and Mary's children.  Charles Wemyss was alive 9 March 1879 when his son Andrew Wemyss married Mary Ann Thoras.  The 1881 Census shows Mary Shewan Wemyss as a widow.  Charles has the occupation of Seaman on Andrew's marriage certificate so it may be that he died at sea.  None of the death certificates you listed in your post seemed right for Charles Wemyss.

        I tried Ancestry.com for Charles Wemyss senior and May Weir and did not get any results either.  The marriage certificate for Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan shows his mother's name as May instead of Mary.  There is a misspelling of the word maiden on the certificate so maybe her name really was Mary.

        Both Wemyss and Shewan are relatively rare names for Scotland so I looked for some other Wemyss in the area.  William Wemyss was born in Peterhead in 1839.  In the 1871 Census he lived in St. Nicholas and he married Elispet Catto.  On William Wemyss's death certificate his father is listed as Charles Wemyss, occupation Flesher, and the father is deceased at the time of William's death in 1879.  Could he be the brother of Charles Wemyss who married Mary Shewan?  Unfortunately there was no mother listed.

        Best,

        Diane

      • kirsteen.warren
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
          Hi Diane,
          thanks for your reply

          I am a bit confused, son Andrew Weymss son of Charles and Mary Shewan, is my direct line, he was in a relationship with Janet/Jessie Adam/s they had 5 children that i have found to date with son James Shewan Weymss Adams being my grandfather, are we talking about the same Andrew the son of Charles and Mary Shewan, or are you taking about the son of Charles weymss and Mary/May weir

          Thanks
          Kirsteen
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Diane Roberts <sunsetdi@...> wrote:

          > I have done some research on Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan as Mary Shewan is the sister of Anne Shewan..  Anne married Murdoch Campbell and that is my line.
          >
          > I have some information on the marriages of Charles and Mary's children.  Charles Wemyss was alive 9 March 1879 when his son Andrew Wemyss married Mary Ann Thoras.  The 1881 Census shows Mary Shewan Wemyss as a widow.  Charles has the occupation of Seaman on Andrew's marriage certificate so it may be that he died at sea.  None of the death certificates you listed in your post seemed right for Charles Wemyss.
          >
          > I tried Ancestry.com for Charles Wemyss senior and May Weir and did not get any results either.  The marriage certificate for Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan shows his mother's name as May instead of Mary.  There is a misspelling of the word maiden on the certificate so maybe her name really was Mary.
          >
          > Both Wemyss and Shewan are relatively rare names for Scotland so I looked for some other Wemyss in the area.  William Wemyss was born in Peterhead in 1839.  In the 1871 Census he lived in St. Nicholas and he married Elispet Catto.  On William Wemyss's death certificate his father is listed as Charles Wemyss, occupation Flesher, and the father is deceased at the time of William's death in 1879.  Could he be the brother of Charles Wemyss who married Mary Shewan?  Unfortunately there was no mother listed.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Diane

        • Diane Roberts
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013
            Hi, Kristeen.

            The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.

            Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.

            The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.

            Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.

            If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).

            Best,

            Diane

          • kirsteen.warren
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
              Hi Diane,

              That would be great, thanks

              I do not have a marriage for Janet.Jessie Adam/s and Andrew Shewan Weymss, but they did have an affair or lived together, they had 5 children that i have found to date,

              Betsy Weymss Adams 1889
              Andrew Weymss Adams 1896
              Mary Shewan Weymss Adams 1898
              James Shewan Weymss Adams 1899 ( My Grandfather) he married Jessie Logan in 1923
              George Fyvie Weymss Adams 1900 ( Died as an infant)

              You may be right and that his wife died, and he went on to have an affair with Jessie/Janet

              do you know if Andrew and his wife had any children,

              My dad had told me that the weymss line went back to Charles Weymss and helen Paton, but i never found any evidence of it not being able to find Charles Weymss death certificate

              My dads line is proving very difficult as they seem to have been a very dysfunctional family with illegitimate children all over the place,

              I would be grateful for any info you can give me and i would be very happy to reciprocate with any info that i have
              Kirsteen

              How do i send you my e-mail addy privately ?

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Diane Roberts <sunsetdi@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Kristeen.
              >
              > The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.
              >
              > Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.
              >
              > The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.
              >
              > Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.
              >
              > If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Diane

            • kirsteen.warren
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                Diane

                Elizabeth Shewan Weymss daughter of Andrew And Mary Shewan married a James Thoirs 24 Oct 1893 son of James Thoirs and Mary Center, could it be another spelling of Thoras ???