Re: Re false emails

  • Betty Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2013
      Hi Lyn,
      Have you tried changing your password?
      regards,
      Angela

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Lyn Thomas" <ljthom2003@...> wrote:

      > Hi to everyone. I am sorry about the emails going to the group using my
      > address. I have not sent them and my anti-virus and firewalls are up to
      > date. I don't know how they do it but it upsets me to see my email address
      > being used falsely. Just delete them.
      >
      > Lyn

    • Alex MacPhee
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
        I suspect these incidents aren't password-compromises, but accesses gained by malware to contact lists. I've had them too, and it's happened to all sorts of accounts, from e-mail to Facebook. It'll pass. As a routine, though, one should aim for a good strength password, which includes a mix of letters and numbers, in combinations that don't resemble words that could be found in a dictionary. Of course, that can make it difficult to remember, so one method is to choose a phrase, say a line or two from a favourite poem, and select the first letter from each word of the phrase to make up an acrostic. So a password might be

        lottcnihwbatb

        if your favourite poem was Housman's  'Loveliest of trees'. You could then make a few letter/number substitutions, 0 for o, 1 for i, and so on, giving

        l0ttcn1hwbatb

        Alex