Re false emails

  • Lyn Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2013
      Hi to everyone. I am sorry about the emails going to the group using my
      address. I have not sent them and my anti-virus and firewalls are up to
      date. I don't know how they do it but it upsets me to see my email address
      being used falsely. Just delete them.

      Lyn
    • Betty Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2013
        Hi Lyn,
        Have you tried changing your password?
        regards,
        Angela

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Lyn Thomas" <ljthom2003@...> wrote:

        > Hi to everyone. I am sorry about the emails going to the group using my
        > address. I have not sent them and my anti-virus and firewalls are up to
        > date. I don't know how they do it but it upsets me to see my email address
        > being used falsely. Just delete them.
        >
        > Lyn

      • Alex MacPhee
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2013
          I suspect these incidents aren't password-compromises, but accesses gained by malware to contact lists. I've had them too, and it's happened to all sorts of accounts, from e-mail to Facebook. It'll pass. As a routine, though, one should aim for a good strength password, which includes a mix of letters and numbers, in combinations that don't resemble words that could be found in a dictionary. Of course, that can make it difficult to remember, so one method is to choose a phrase, say a line or two from a favourite poem, and select the first letter from each word of the phrase to make up an acrostic. So a password might be

          lottcnihwbatb

          if your favourite poem was Housman's  'Loveliest of trees'. You could then make a few letter/number substitutions, 0 for o, 1 for i, and so on, giving

          l0ttcn1hwbatb

          Alex