Re: Wemyss Surname in Peterhead

  • jam54jam
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013

      Roll: CSSCT1861_32
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Mary Wemyss 22
      Andrew Wemyss 3
      Thomas Wemyss 1

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "kirsteen.warren" <kirsteen.warren@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > I am getting rather frustrated with my Weymss surname research
      >
      > I have a Charles Wemyss married to Mary Shewan in in 1857, Charles age at time of Marriage is stated age 19 years, means he was probably born around 1837/8 his parents are listed as Charles Weymss (Farrier) and Mary Weir,
      >
      > I have found no birth record for Charles born in the period he would have been born, nor have i found a marriage for Charles and Mary Weir,
      >
      > I have also failed to find a death certificate for Charles senior, though it appears that both he and Mary weir were alive at the time of Charles marriage to Mary Shewan
      >
      > I have downloaded all the Charles Weymss death certificates from Scotlands people but no of them appear to be either of the chales i am looking for,
      >
      > The ones i have downloaded are
      > 1857 Charles Weymss age 45 Drowned in the river Tay, no parents given,
      >
      > in 1870 Charles Weymss (farrier) Single age 67 in Rathven his parents were Charles Weymss and Helen Paton ( I thought this could be him as he was a farrier, but he was single bo probably not, or perhaps he never married Mary Weir and my charles was Illegitimate
      >
      > 1892 Charles Weymss age 19 son of Charles and Mary Shewan
      >
      > 1898 Charles Weymss age 32 Son of William Weymss and Elspet Catto
      >
      > Seem slike there is no charle Weymss or Mary weir who died in Peterhead,
      >
      > is anyone researching the above families, if so i would be very grateful for any info concerning them
      >
      > Thanks

    • Rhonda
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013

        Hi Kirsteen

        I live in Western Australia I noticed the name WEMYSS, in the Bicentennial Dictionary of West Australia it mentions

        A captain Francs WEMYSS born in Tasmania died 1937 West Australia  son of a harbor master,

        If this helps I can do some diging around for at the local family history library if you like

        Cheers

        Rhonda Bozzelli

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 6, 2013
          Hi

          Yes i had seen that, and wondered if this could actually be Mary weir,

          I have found no children's births for Mary Weir and Charles, which made me wonder if they ever married, the only reaso i kow the parents is that they were listed o Charles and Mary Shewans marriage certificate,
          I still wonder if Charles was the son of Charles Weymss and Helen Paton

          I have seen one family tree stating that he was, but without documentation i am rather reluctant to add them to my tree as i would hate to add it the have to remove inaccurate information

          on Charles junior marriage he is listed as living in peterhead and was a blacksmith his father was listed as a farrier, and Charles who died in

          I will keep looking   and perhaps i will one day be able to go further back on this line,

          I do not think any of my weymss line went to Australia, though saying that i have only recently started to concentrate on the name so any help would be appreciated,

        • Diane Roberts
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2013
            I have done some research on Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan as Mary Shewan is the sister of Anne Shewan..  Anne married Murdoch Campbell and that is my line.

            I have some information on the marriages of Charles and Mary's children.  Charles Wemyss was alive 9 March 1879 when his son Andrew Wemyss married Mary Ann Thoras.  The 1881 Census shows Mary Shewan Wemyss as a widow.  Charles has the occupation of Seaman on Andrew's marriage certificate so it may be that he died at sea.  None of the death certificates you listed in your post seemed right for Charles Wemyss.

            I tried Ancestry.com for Charles Wemyss senior and May Weir and did not get any results either.  The marriage certificate for Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan shows his mother's name as May instead of Mary.  There is a misspelling of the word maiden on the certificate so maybe her name really was Mary.

            Both Wemyss and Shewan are relatively rare names for Scotland so I looked for some other Wemyss in the area.  William Wemyss was born in Peterhead in 1839.  In the 1871 Census he lived in St. Nicholas and he married Elispet Catto.  On William Wemyss's death certificate his father is listed as Charles Wemyss, occupation Flesher, and the father is deceased at the time of William's death in 1879.  Could he be the brother of Charles Wemyss who married Mary Shewan?  Unfortunately there was no mother listed.

            Best,

            Diane

          • kirsteen.warren
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 16, 2013
              Hi Diane,
              thanks for your reply

              I am a bit confused, son Andrew Weymss son of Charles and Mary Shewan, is my direct line, he was in a relationship with Janet/Jessie Adam/s they had 5 children that i have found to date with son James Shewan Weymss Adams being my grandfather, are we talking about the same Andrew the son of Charles and Mary Shewan, or are you taking about the son of Charles weymss and Mary/May weir

              Thanks
              Kirsteen
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Diane Roberts <sunsetdi@...> wrote:

              > I have done some research on Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan as Mary Shewan is the sister of Anne Shewan..  Anne married Murdoch Campbell and that is my line.
              >
              > I have some information on the marriages of Charles and Mary's children.  Charles Wemyss was alive 9 March 1879 when his son Andrew Wemyss married Mary Ann Thoras.  The 1881 Census shows Mary Shewan Wemyss as a widow.  Charles has the occupation of Seaman on Andrew's marriage certificate so it may be that he died at sea.  None of the death certificates you listed in your post seemed right for Charles Wemyss.
              >
              > I tried Ancestry.com for Charles Wemyss senior and May Weir and did not get any results either.  The marriage certificate for Charles Wemyss and Mary Shewan shows his mother's name as May instead of Mary.  There is a misspelling of the word maiden on the certificate so maybe her name really was Mary.
              >
              > Both Wemyss and Shewan are relatively rare names for Scotland so I looked for some other Wemyss in the area.  William Wemyss was born in Peterhead in 1839.  In the 1871 Census he lived in St. Nicholas and he married Elispet Catto.  On William Wemyss's death certificate his father is listed as Charles Wemyss, occupation Flesher, and the father is deceased at the time of William's death in 1879.  Could he be the brother of Charles Wemyss who married Mary Shewan?  Unfortunately there was no mother listed.
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Diane

            • Diane Roberts
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 17, 2013
                Hi, Kristeen.

                The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.

                Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.

                The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.

                Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.

                If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).

                Best,

                Diane

              • kirsteen.warren
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                  Hi Diane,

                  That would be great, thanks

                  I do not have a marriage for Janet.Jessie Adam/s and Andrew Shewan Weymss, but they did have an affair or lived together, they had 5 children that i have found to date,

                  Betsy Weymss Adams 1889
                  Andrew Weymss Adams 1896
                  Mary Shewan Weymss Adams 1898
                  James Shewan Weymss Adams 1899 ( My Grandfather) he married Jessie Logan in 1923
                  George Fyvie Weymss Adams 1900 ( Died as an infant)

                  You may be right and that his wife died, and he went on to have an affair with Jessie/Janet

                  do you know if Andrew and his wife had any children,

                  My dad had told me that the weymss line went back to Charles Weymss and helen Paton, but i never found any evidence of it not being able to find Charles Weymss death certificate

                  My dads line is proving very difficult as they seem to have been a very dysfunctional family with illegitimate children all over the place,

                  I would be grateful for any info you can give me and i would be very happy to reciprocate with any info that i have
                  Kirsteen

                  How do i send you my e-mail addy privately ?

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Diane Roberts <sunsetdi@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Kristeen.
                  >
                  > The marriage certificate that I downloaded from Scotland's People shows Andrew Wemyss, son of Charles Wemyss, Seaman, and Mary Wemyss maiden name Shewan.
                  >
                  > Andrew is 21 at the date of marriage on March 9, 1879.
                  >
                  > The bride is Mary Ann Thoras, age 16, daughter of John Thoras and Ann Thoras maiden name Muir.
                  >
                  > Does this marriage occur before the one you found?  It is possible that Mary Ann died and Andrew remarried.
                  >
                  > If you send me your email address I can send you the pdf of the marriage certificate directly (save you a few credits at Scotland's People).
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Diane

                • kirsteen.warren
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 20, 2013
                    Diane

                    Elizabeth Shewan Weymss daughter of Andrew And Mary Shewan married a James Thoirs 24 Oct 1893 son of James Thoirs and Mary Center, could it be another spelling of Thoras ???