The Morrisons of New Deer

  • tullynessleturnip
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2013
      Hullo! I'm new to this forum and hope that New Deer comes within the realms of Peterhead - does it, or is there a group for New Deer? I've been researching my family tree for 7 years now, and wonder if anyone here is familiar with these names?:

      Robert Scott Morrison b.1847, Mary Morrison b.1850, Elizabeth Morrison b.1853, James Morrison b.1855, John Morrison b.1857, Alexander Morrison b.1860 - these were all born New Deer 'Ironside' (apart from Alexander who was born at Branhill/Brownhill New Deer). They were the children of John Morrison (crofter, supposedly from Boyndie) + Mary Scott born around 1822 Fraserburgh.

      John Morrison (crofter)'s parents are William Morrison + Jessie Smith - anyone know anything about these? Mary Scott's parents were Robert Scott + Elizabeth Pirie - in the 1841 census they appear to be living at 'Land of Ironside', New Deer, Robert is 60 which makes his birth around 1780 - does anyone know anything about these?

      It's possible that John Morrison (crofter) had a daughter with Elizabeth MacLeod, called Isabella Morrison b.1836. Isabella married a Charles Birnie and they had a daughter called Mary-Ann Birnie. M-AB would this be the neice of Alexander Morrison b.1860, and a M-AB is recorded as the informant on AM's death certificate of 1932 (he died in New Deer). M-AB was registered as living at 'Easter Melrose' which is a farm in Gamrie/Gardenstown.

      Mary Morrison b.1850 had one child before she was married, an Alexander Brown Morrison b.1880. he then married Alexander Melvin and had 4 children, Robert Morrison Melvin b.1888, Maggie Melvin b.1889, Mary Jane Melvin b.1891, John Melvin b.1893.

      Robert Scott Morrison b.1847 studied 1879-86 at Aberdeen University for his medical degree and became the doctor for Methlick, dying in 1909. He had 7 children (his wife was Alice Coutts b.1863, her father was from Tullynessle, Alford): Edith Jane Morrison b.1893, John Alexander Morrison b.1894, Robert James Morrison b.1896, Mary Scott Morrison b.1898, George Gibb Morrison (died in infancy), William Grant Morrison b.1902, Alice Morrison b.1905 (d.1935) - all born in Methlick apart from Edith (born Aberdeen).

      I'd appreciate any info concerning these, my ancestors; I'm a great-grandson of Robert Scott Morrison and can be found at ross.turner@...
      I'm also interested in finding living relations, for instance, believe there are Melvins living in Canada.
    • Elizebeth Dempster
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2013
        Hello Listers:

        I  am searching for information on Harry Kemp, born June 28, 1884 in the district of St. Andrew, Edinburgh, son of Cecilia Lindsay Dempster Kemp, and James Romanies Kemp.  I know from my research that Harry married Mary Ann Duncan Geddes February 7, 1917 in Peterhead.  I believe they had a son, Harry, c1920, perhaps more children that I have not yet discovered.

        Harry's Kemp siblings are:  George Gordon Kemp, Cecilia Blackie Johnstone Kemp and Margaret Isabella Kemp.
        The Dempster children from Cecilia's first marriage are Lauchlan John, James, William, Thomas and Janet Ann Baird Dempster.

        Cecilia Kemp is my gg grandmother, having been married first to Lauchlan John Dempster.  The Kemp name has been kept in the naming of a few men in our family, due to the family's fondness for James Romanies Kemp.

        I would love to hear from any Kemps who would be connected to this part of my family tree.

        Regards,
        Elizebeth Dempster
        Ontario, Canada

        Names of interest:  Dempster, Laing, Syme, Kemp,

        .
      • tullynessleturnip
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
          Tues 19th March 2013

          Is this of any use?: Mary Kemp born 16 Feb 1889 Lumphanan (Aberdeenshire) married Alexander Brown Morrison born 1880 died 1963. He was a shepherd. They had 2 children, Mary Isabella Morrison and Robert John Morrison. MIM died about 15 years ago, RJM was 87 years old when I met him in Novembr 2012.
          Both MIM and RJM have living descendants.
          ABM is my mother's mother's cousin (her father's sister's son).

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Elizebeth Dempster <eliz_dempster@...> wrote:

          > Hello Listers:
          >
          > I  am searching for information on Harry Kemp, born June 28, 1884 in the district of St. Andrew, Edinburgh, son of Cecilia Lindsay Dempster Kemp, and James Romanies Kemp.  I know from my research that Harry married Mary Ann Duncan Geddes February 7, 1917 in Peterhead.  I believe they had a son, Harry, c1920, perhaps more children that I have not yet discovered.
          >
          > Harry's Kemp siblings are:  George Gordon Kemp, Cecilia Blackie Johnstone Kemp and Margaret Isabella Kemp.
          > The Dempster children from Cecilia's first marriage are Lauchlan John, James, William, Thomas and Janet Ann Baird Dempster.
          >
          > Cecilia Kemp is my gg grandmother, having been married first to Lauchlan John Dempster.  The Kemp name has been kept in the naming of a few men in our family, due to the family's fondness for James Romanies Kemp.
          >
          > I would love to hear from any Kemps who would be connected to this part of my family tree.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Elizebeth Dempster
          > Ontario, Canada
          >
          > Names of interest:  Dempster, Laing, Syme, Kemp,
          >

          > .

        • Elizebeth Dempster
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2013
            Hello:

            At this point, not sure.  My Kemp family information I have to date, goes back to a David Kemp and Mary Romanies, c1800.  Their immediate family and all the Kemps that I have were located in the Glasgow and Edinburgh area.  Harry Kemp is the only one that I know of leaving that area and settling in Peterhead.  I will certainly keep the information and as I research further if I find a connection contact this list again.

            Regard,
            Liz Dempster