Re: Innes/Mckenzie

  • flss1
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
      My first thought was that perhaps these babies were illegitimate.Often they would be known by the father's surname even if their parents weren't married.Would there have been any females of childbearing age in the Stocks or Farquharson families that could've been potential mothers?

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Betty Miles wrote:

      > I am looking for information about two young boys buried in the lairs of my STOCKS and FARQUHARSON ancestors in St. Peter's Cemetery. As far as I know they have no connection to our family. They are James INNES, died 17 January 1848, aged 4 months and Daniel McKENZIE, died 3 February 1852, aged 1 year. I am curious as to why they would be buried there, as the lairs were being used for family members during that time.
      >
      > Betty

    • Gweneth Myers
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
        G'day Betty,
        My understanding is the Scots were very economical and thrifty when it came to lairs.  They used all available space even if sometimes the dead person had no connection to others in the lair.  I have a husband and wife buried together in Brechin Cathedral but there are others in the same lair and absolutely no connection to them. Has anyone else come across this when researching who is in the lair?
        Cheers
        Gweneth
        Melbourne.

        I am looking for information about two young boys buried in the lairs of my STOCKS and FARQUHARSON ancestors in St. Peter's Cemetery. As far as I know they have no connection to our family. They are James INNES, died 17 January 1848, aged 4 months and Daniel McKENZIE, died 3 February 1852, aged 1 year. I am curious as to why they would be buried there, as the lairs were being used for family members during that time.

        Betty

      • William Leslie
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013

          There is another possibility. My grandmother in Peterhead adopted children. They were either children of friends or distant relatives. One of these, whose name I was unable to discover died shortly after coming to live with my grandmother. The only name I could get from relatives who were quite young at the time was, The Girl from the North.

          William Leslie

          I am looking for information about two young boys buried in the lairs of my STOCKS and FARQUHARSON ancestors in St. Peter's Cemetery. As far as I know they have no connection to our family. They are James INNES, died 17 January 1848, aged 4 months and Daniel McKENZIE, died 3 February 1852, aged 1 year. I am curious as to why they would be buried there, as the lairs were being used for family members during that time.

          Betty

        • Betty Miles
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013

            Thank you to all for your thoughts on these children. I do know that Margaret Stocks ran a boarding house at about that time and I wondered if the parents may have been living there. Perhaps we'll never know.