Reid: John 1883-1966 (immigrant to America),son of Joseph & Elisa Sheriffs Reid

  • JaniceS
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      Greetings from the US: I am new to Scottish research. I appreciate all the informative postings about the Reids (esp. by Alison and Charlotte!)I can add data about one native-born Peterhead man:John Reid. John was born in 1883 to Joseph and Elisa (Sheriffs)Reid. He left Peterhead in 1903, shortly after his 20th birthday. Traveled on the ship Bavarian from Liverpool to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Profession: coachman.By 1909 John moved from Canada to Brighton (Rochester area) of Monroe County, New York, USA. He married Amy Clarissa Skelding and had two daughters. Profession: chauffeur. The family lived in Monroe County until John's death in December 1966.

      I need help with two questions: (1)Where are John's parents--Joseph and Elisa Sheriffs Reids--buried in Peterhead? Joseph's parents (Robert and Jane Ogston) are buried in St. Peter's Churchyard (according to a post by Alison). Can anyone verify whether Joseph(b 1842-d 1911?) and wife Eliza Sheriffs (1851-1894) are also buried in this cemetery? (2) John Reid and father Joseph lived in Peterhead 1890-1901 at a hotel/boardinghouse run by James and Eliza Hay Reid at 25 Broad Place. Does anyone know of a book that might discuss businesses/homes/life/people on Broad St. in the mid 1850-1900 era in Peterhead? Thanks, JaniceS