Re: [Peterhead] Shipping to Australia

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
      There are 2 places I would look, one is www.search.archives.tas.gov.au and then select the Heritage tab (or you can google the website). I really like this site and have had great success in finding wills etc.  I would also check out the newspapers in Tasmania at the time as they advertised people arriving and departing.  I think one is The Mercury and there are others, depending on what city you are looking for.  Hobart and Launceston (former name is George Town) had their own newspapers.   Our National Library Australia allows you to search on line - free.  The site is www.trove.nla.org.au and there are several ways you can search.  You can include all of Australia or you can do it by State and then specific newspapers.  You can also search between certain dates.  However, keep in mind it is a digitised site and sometimes it doesn't pick out the information you are looking for because it searches how the information has been "read" by their scanners which sometimes has no bearing on what is actually in the article.

      Hi Marie,

      Great answer. I often use the Tas archives and have worked there at times. I checked the online arrivals index and the convicts index when you first posted. But the indexes are not 100% complete - either because the occasional ship just didn't get done (I've found an example myself a few years ago) or because steerage passengers weren't listed.

      Gwen is right in saying that the staff can be very helpful if you send a request. However, more and more they are being squeezed for time and it may depend who answers your query. There is an CD Rom index of shipping into and out of Launceston which I will check for you, and also a couple of card indexes which are worth a look. The archives are in the state library building just over the road from where I work so it will only take a couple of minutes.

      One correction - the former name for Launceston is not George Town, which is a separate place at the mouth of the Tamar River.

      Re newspapers - look at the dates of the newspapers on Trove. The Mercury has been going since about 1854, so too late for any mention of Alexander Florence - go for the Hobart Town Gazette etc.

      Best wishes,
      Elisabeth

      Elisabeth Wilson
      Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden) SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
        Hi Marie,

        I did go tot he archives yesterday for you but to my dismay some of
        the CD ROMs which used to be loaded onto the public search computers
        are no longer there. Apparently when they installed new computers
        they did not match with the old software. They still have the CDs in
        the stacks so I'm going to request the Launceston index and see if
        they have a computer I can view it on.

        However, I can see on Trove (digitised newspapers) where A Florence
        departs for Adelaide, but not an arrival. I only looked from 1841 to
        1845 though.

        He is not in the general card index, which is not that significant,
        but it means he didn't get a land grant etc.

        Could he have been in the military forces? Or a seaman? They are not
        usually listed as arrivals if they just decided to stay and not sail home.

        There was a Thomas Florence who came out as a surveyor in 1818 - see
        the Wayn index, the second URL below - and I also saw a James
        Florence and family in the general card index, emigrating in 1913
        from Aberdeen.

        TO anyone else who is looking for people who came to Tasmania - there
        are several good indexes on the web
        (http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/tasmaniasheritage/search/name-indexes/nameindexes
        and
        http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?detail=1&type=S&id=AE807)
        but if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask - I have worked at the
        archives and am fairly familiar with their holdings.

        Regards,
        Elisabeth

        Elisabeth Wilson
        Lenah Valley, Tasmania
        SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
        (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
      • Marie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
          Hi Elizabeth,

          Many thanks for the following email.    Yes that is my chap 1845 but really wanted to find him arriving however grateful to find the 1845 entry.   Interesting chap and is my gtgtgrandfather may have missed a gt there.

          I appreciate your kindness looking  at the records.  No he wasn’t a seaman but I am wondering as he was living in Peterhead Scotland if this might have a bearing on things.
          I will keep looking one of these days I will find something.
          You would think the LDS would have kepted a couple of old computers up and running so to use the CD’s.     I now wonder if the British Islaes Vital Records etc will work as my old computer died will this new updated one accept the above.
          Very grateful  if you manage to have a look at the CD provided it can be worked.

          Many thanks
          Marie