Strachan/May family?

  • fatal_acception
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
      I have just started researching my husband's line and have had a lot of luck at Scotlandspeople site. On one line I have run full speed into the wall though.

      I found the marriage for Andrew Buchan Strachan and Sarah Strachan 5 November 1890 in Peterhead. Andrew was 26 years old, Fisherman, residing in Peterhead, son of William Strachan and Catherine Birnie Ritchie. Sarah was 27, domestic servant, residing Buchanhaven Peterhead, daughter of Andrew Strachan and Sarah May.

      I had no problem locating the information about Andrew and his family. Sarah's was born 14 September 1863 in Buchanhaven, Peterhead. Again it lists parents as Andrew Strachan and Sarah May with a marriage date of 9 October 1862 in Peterhead.

      The problem is that I cannot locate Andrew Strachan and Sarah May's marriage. I have tried every search variation I can think of and still nothing. I'm new to researching in Scotland and have no idea if there is any other way of locating them. I do have them in the census records for 1871 and up, Sarah died 1886-1891 and Andrew was gone from 1901 census.

      In 1861 the only Sarah May living in Aberdeenshire was in Buchanhaven. Sarah May, 20 year old servant in the household of David and Elizabeth Buchan. Andrew seems to be the son of Andrew Strachan and his wife Mary and was also living in Buchanhaven.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks, Rachel
    • pauladixon23
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hi Rachel,

        I have just searched on Scotlands People using the following:

        Male Surname: Strachan (surname variants)
        Male Forename: Andrew
        Female Surname: May
        Female Forename: Sara (not Sarah)
        Year range 1862 - 1862
        County: Aberdeen

        Just 1 match comes up which should be yours. I haven't got any credits otherwise I'd check it for you. Fingers crossed!

        Paula
      • mackin.gen@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
          Thanks! It is them. The strangest thing is I tried the same search and got nothing. It happened to me with a search the other day too.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            Hi again Rachel,

            Just checked the 1901 census and found Sarah aged 59 living with 5 of her children at 5 Harbour Street, Peterhead. She is classified as fishermans widow.
            Also I think I've found her in 1891 visiting Thomas Gray in Whinnyfold, Cruden. She is hiding there age 49 fishermans wife by the name of Sarah May.
            At a guess I would say she died in 1916 and now I'll go away and let you carry on!

            Paula