Re: [Peterhead] Shipping to Australia

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
      Marie,

      I don't know if you've tried contacting the Tasmanian Archives online, but if you haven't it might be worthwhile. I found them extremely helpful when I was searching for info about a seaman uncle who my mother told me died in Hobart in 1908. I confirmed this in the archives, and then sent away for his death certificate, for a small fee. In addition to the certificate, the archivist also found for me (at no extra cost and without me asking), two reports of the events surrounding his death which had appeared in a local newspaper. Very helpful. I was most impressed!

      Mary Barnes

      On 28/01/2013, at 7:53 AM, Marie <minbalup@...> wrote:

      Thank you Wade for your email.   Gosh this chap is just so hard to follow his footsteps.   I think he used a broom to clear his footsteps.

      Haven’t heard from the Florence family you mention but guess like everyone busy with the job of living.

      Thank you for your help still going thro the shipping records would just love to fill in the years between 1841 and 1845 one day perhaps.

      To visit the Archives at Tasmania would be the idea as I guess there are records there but as yet not on any lists .

      All the best and again many thanks
      Marie

      Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 12:01 AM
      Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Shipping to Australia

      Hi Marie,

      Sorry, it is not something I’ve researched before.  But he could easily have left from Peterhead by boat and gone to any number of Ports that sailed to Australia.

      Regards,

      Wade.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
        G'day Marie

        There are 2 places I would look, one is www.search.archives.tas.gov.au and then select the Heritage tab (or you can google the website). I really like this site and have had great success in finding wills etc.  I would also check out the newspapers in Tasmania at the time as they advertised people arriving and departing.  I think one is The Mercury and there are others, depending on what city you are looking for.  Hobart and Launceston (former name is George Town) had their own newspapers.   Our National Library Australia allows you to search on line - free.  The site is www.trove.nla.org.au and there are several ways you can search.  You can include all of Australia or you can do it by State and then specific newspapers.  You can also search between certain dates.  However, keep in mind it is a digitised site and sometimes it doesn't pick out the information you are looking for because it searches how the information has been "read" by their scanners which sometimes has no bearing on what is actually in the article. Also my surname is Myers and I had to search both Myers and Meyers - one of the Tasmanian newspapers had 2 different spellings in the one article on several occassions - my husband's grandfather was a champion Rower and featured in the boating results in the sports section.

        Cheers
        Gwen Myers
        Melbourne

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
[...]

          Great answer. I often use the Tas archives and have worked there at times. I checked the online arrivals index and the convicts index when you first posted. But the indexes are not 100% complete - either because the occasional ship just didn't get done (I've found an example myself a few years ago) or because steerage passengers weren't listed.

          Gwen is right in saying that the staff can be very helpful if you send a request. However, more and more they are being squeezed for time and it may depend who answers your query. There is an CD Rom index of shipping into and out of Launceston which I will check for you, and also a couple of card indexes which are worth a look. The archives are in the state library building just over the road from where I work so it will only take a couple of minutes.

          One correction - the former name for Launceston is not George Town, which is a separate place at the mouth of the Tamar River.

          Re newspapers - look at the dates of the newspapers on Trove. The Mercury has been going since about 1854, so too late for any mention of Alexander Florence - go for the Hobart Town Gazette etc.

          Best wishes,
          Elisabeth

          Elisabeth Wilson
          Lenah Valley, Tasmania
          researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden) SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

        • Elisabeth Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
            Hi Marie,

            I did go tot he archives yesterday for you but to my dismay some of
            the CD ROMs which used to be loaded onto the public search computers
            are no longer there. Apparently when they installed new computers
            they did not match with the old software. They still have the CDs in
            the stacks so I'm going to request the Launceston index and see if
            they have a computer I can view it on.

            However, I can see on Trove (digitised newspapers) where A Florence
            departs for Adelaide, but not an arrival. I only looked from 1841 to
            1845 though.

            He is not in the general card index, which is not that significant,
            but it means he didn't get a land grant etc.

            Could he have been in the military forces? Or a seaman? They are not
            usually listed as arrivals if they just decided to stay and not sail home.

            There was a Thomas Florence who came out as a surveyor in 1818 - see
            the Wayn index, the second URL below - and I also saw a James
            Florence and family in the general card index, emigrating in 1913
            from Aberdeen.

            TO anyone else who is looking for people who came to Tasmania - there
            are several good indexes on the web
            (http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/tasmaniasheritage/search/name-indexes/nameindexes
            and
            http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?detail=1&type=S&id=AE807)
            but if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask - I have worked at the
            archives and am fairly familiar with their holdings.

            Regards,
            Elisabeth

            Elisabeth Wilson
            Lenah Valley, Tasmania
            SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
            (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
          • Marie
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
              Hi Elizabeth,

              Many thanks for the following email.    Yes that is my chap 1845 but really wanted to find him arriving however grateful to find the 1845 entry.   Interesting chap and is my gtgtgrandfather may have missed a gt there.

              I appreciate your kindness looking  at the records.  No he wasn’t a seaman but I am wondering as he was living in Peterhead Scotland if this might have a bearing on things.
              I will keep looking one of these days I will find something.
              You would think the LDS would have kepted a couple of old computers up and running so to use the CD’s.     I now wonder if the British Islaes Vital Records etc will work as my old computer died will this new updated one accept the above.
              Very grateful  if you manage to have a look at the CD provided it can be worked.

              Many thanks
              Marie