Re: [Peterhead] Re: The Brick Wall

  • A MacPhee
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
      This is another excellent suggestion. I don't at present know where she's buried, only that she died on 15th May 1900 in Brook Lane, Peterhead, and that she married in the Episcopal Church in, I think, Merchant Street. Are there resources that might list lairs? I've had a suggestion to look at the Buchan Roots site, and that looks worth registering with.

      Alex

      On 21 January 2013 23:25, flss1 <flss1@...> wrote:

      Just wondering if your Great Grandmother's headstone mentions her husband?If he died after her, & out of the country, there may still be an inscription although he's not actually buried in the same lair.

    • Barbara Dawes
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
        I just checked my copy of St. Peter's Cemetery, Peterhead for McDougal and McDougall and you can rule that one out - other than, if there is no stone, only a burial register would tell if any were buried there and I fear I don't remember exactly who has them or where they may be.

        Barbara
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
          Catherine Hay is buried in The Peterhead Constitution Street Cemetery Lair A59 (I will have to check that number, from what I found last night).  No headstone and appears to be a common grave, no other McDougalls.

          Regards,
          Wade

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
            Thank you so much, this has been such a productive thread for me, and at least I now know where she lies. And I've also had so many new leads to follow.

            Kind regards,
            Alex

            On 22 January 2013 00:56, Wade Buchan <wsb@...> wrote:

            Catherine Hay is buried in The Peterhead Constitution Street Cemetery Lair A59 (I will have to check that number, from what I found last night).  No headstone and appears to be a common grave, no other McDougalls.

            Regards,
            Wade

          • Judy Parrish
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013

              Hi Alex
              Sorry to butt in, sometimes when I have a brick wall I look in NZ,  don't know why but a I have
              a few seaman end up there.  The following may not be your Archibald!!

              There is an Archibald McDougall listed in New Zealand BMD who died in 1917  aged 81,   plus
              an Archibald McDougall  buried  in Anderson Bay Cemetery , it lists retired and native of Scotland.
              In the same plot is a Thomas Pettigrew a labourer and native of Scotland.
              Regards
              Judy

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 21, 2013
                Alex, You could have a look at deceased online (www.deceasedonline.com). They have some Peterhead records, also some from other parts of Scotland, in case your ancestor was not buried in Peterhead. Worth a try. I think you get a basic search for free, but if  you want more you have to join, or buy credits.

                Mary

                On 22/01/2013, at 11:27 AM, A MacPhee <alexmacphee@...> wrote:

                This is another excellent suggestion. I don't at present know where she's buried, only that she died on 15th May 1900 in Brook Lane, Peterhead, and that she married in the Episcopal Church in, I think, Merchant Street. Are there resources that might list lairs? I've had a suggestion to look at the Buchan Roots site, and that looks worth registering with.

                Alex

                On 21 January 2013 23:25, flss1 <flss1@...> wrote:

                Just wondering if your Great Grandmother's headstone mentions her husband?If he died after her, & out of the country, there may still be an inscription although he's not actually buried in the same lair.

                Mary Barnes

              • Mary Barnes