RE: [Peterhead] Seaman list

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

      Hi Gwenth,

      You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

      Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

      Regards,

      Wade.

      From: marymelville4646@... <marymelville4646@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

      Hello Gweneth,

      A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.

      From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>