RE: [Peterhead] Seaman list

  • Gweneth Myers
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
      Thanks for that Christine,
      Cheers
      Gwen

      --- On Mon, 21/1/13, Christine Tregonning <cjtregonning@...> wrote:

      From: Christine Tregonning <cjtregonning@...>
      Subject: RE: [Peterhead] Seaman list
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Gwen,

      I know that you directed your question to Wade but I think that maybe a cooper is a person who makes barrels. Perhaps they maintained the barrels containing supplies for the ship or for ships cargo.

      Regards,

      Christine

      From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

        Hi Gwenth,

        You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

        Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

        Regards,

        Wade.

        From: marymelville4646@... <marymelville4646@...>
        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

        Hello Gweneth,

        A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.