Re: [Peterhead] Seaman list

  • Gweneth Myers
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

      G'day Mary
      Thanks for this information.  I have a Colin McKenzie who was an apprentice cooper, aged 17 years in the 1841 census.  It didn't occur to me he may in later years have been a seaman with that trade.
      Cheers
      Gweneth
      Melbourne

      From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
        Thanks for that Christine,
        Cheers
        Gwen

        From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

          Hi Gwenth,

          You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

          Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

          Regards,

          Wade.