Re: [Peterhead] Seaman list

  • ali1998mar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
      Hello Gweneth,
      A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.

      From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

        G'day Mary
        Thanks for this information.  I have a Colin McKenzie who was an apprentice cooper, aged 17 years in the 1841 census.  It didn't occur to me he may in later years have been a seaman with that trade.
        Cheers
        Gweneth
        Melbourne

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
          Thanks for that Christine,
          Cheers
          Gwen

          From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
          Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

            Hi Gwenth,

            You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

            Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

            Regards,

            Wade.