Shipping to Australia

  • Marie
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2013
      Hi Wade,

      Trying to find my Alexander Florence living in Peterhead with his brother’s family in 1841.    He sailed to Tasmania sometime between 1841 and 1845 when he sailed from Tasmania to South Australia 1845.   Cannot find him arriving in Tasmania.

      Living in Peterhead where would he board a ship for Australia?

      Thank you for any help with information you can give me .

      Best wishes
      Marie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013

        Hi Marie,

        Sorry, it is not something I’ve researched before.  But he could easily have left from Peterhead by boat and gone to any number of Ports that sailed to Australia.

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
          Thank you Wade for your email.   Gosh this chap is just so hard to follow his footsteps.   I think he used a broom to clear his footsteps.

          Haven’t heard from the Florence family you mention but guess like everyone busy with the job of living.

          Thank you for your help still going thro the shipping records would just love to fill in the years between 1841 and 1845 one day perhaps.

          To visit the Archives at Tasmania would be the idea as I guess there are records there but as yet not on any lists .

          All the best and again many thanks
          Marie

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
            Hi Marie

            I couldn't help notice your query. I have a relative who arrived in Hobart in 1838 who is not on any records except I finally found them in the passenger lists on Ancestry and they arrived from Canada.
            Wish I could help. You might be able to find them on newspapers. Also I had a look at other capital cities but to no avail.
            Jenny

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Marie" wrote:

            > Hi Wade,
            >

            > Trying to find my Alexander Florence living in Peterhead with his brother’s family in 1841. He sailed to Tasmania sometime between 1841 and 1845 when he sailed from Tasmania to South Australia 1845. Cannot find him arriving in Tasmania.
            >
            > Living in Peterhead where would he board a ship for Australia?
            >
            > Thank you for any help with information you can give me .
            >
            > Best wishes
            > Marie

          • Mary Barnes

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
                G'day Marie

                There are 2 places I would look, one is www.search.archives.tas.gov.au and then select the Heritage tab (or you can google the website). I really like this site and have had great success in finding wills etc.  I would also check out the newspapers in Tasmania at the time as they advertised people arriving and departing.  I think one is The Mercury and there are others, depending on what city you are looking for.  Hobart and Launceston (former name is George Town) had their own newspapers.   Our National Library Australia allows you to search on line - free.  The site is www.trove.nla.org.au and there are several ways you can search.  You can include all of Australia or you can do it by State and then specific newspapers.  You can also search between certain dates.  However, keep in mind it is a digitised site and sometimes it doesn't pick out the information you are looking for because it searches how the information has been "read" by their scanners which sometimes has no bearing on what is actually in the article. Also my surname is Myers and I had to search both Myers and Meyers - one of the Tasmanian newspapers had 2 different spellings in the one article on several occassions - my husband's grandfather was a champion Rower and featured in the boating results in the sports section.

                Cheers
                Gwen Myers
                Melbourne

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2013
[...]

                  Great answer. I often use the Tas archives and have worked there at times. I checked the online arrivals index and the convicts index when you first posted. But the indexes are not 100% complete - either because the occasional ship just didn't get done (I've found an example myself a few years ago) or because steerage passengers weren't listed.

                  Gwen is right in saying that the staff can be very helpful if you send a request. However, more and more they are being squeezed for time and it may depend who answers your query. There is an CD Rom index of shipping into and out of Launceston which I will check for you, and also a couple of card indexes which are worth a look. The archives are in the state library building just over the road from where I work so it will only take a couple of minutes.

                  One correction - the former name for Launceston is not George Town, which is a separate place at the mouth of the Tamar River.

                  Re newspapers - look at the dates of the newspapers on Trove. The Mercury has been going since about 1854, so too late for any mention of Alexander Florence - go for the Hobart Town Gazette etc.

                  Best wishes,
                  Elisabeth

                  Elisabeth Wilson
                  Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                  researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden) SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

                • Elisabeth Wilson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
                    Hi Marie,

                    I did go tot he archives yesterday for you but to my dismay some of
                    the CD ROMs which used to be loaded onto the public search computers
                    are no longer there. Apparently when they installed new computers
                    they did not match with the old software. They still have the CDs in
                    the stacks so I'm going to request the Launceston index and see if
                    they have a computer I can view it on.

                    However, I can see on Trove (digitised newspapers) where A Florence
                    departs for Adelaide, but not an arrival. I only looked from 1841 to
                    1845 though.

                    He is not in the general card index, which is not that significant,
                    but it means he didn't get a land grant etc.

                    Could he have been in the military forces? Or a seaman? They are not
                    usually listed as arrivals if they just decided to stay and not sail home.

                    There was a Thomas Florence who came out as a surveyor in 1818 - see
                    the Wayn index, the second URL below - and I also saw a James
                    Florence and family in the general card index, emigrating in 1913
                    from Aberdeen.

                    TO anyone else who is looking for people who came to Tasmania - there
                    are several good indexes on the web
                    (http://www.linc.tas.gov.au/tasmaniasheritage/search/name-indexes/nameindexes
                    and
                    http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?detail=1&type=S&id=AE807)
                    but if you get stuck don't hesitate to ask - I have worked at the
                    archives and am fairly familiar with their holdings.

                    Regards,
                    Elisabeth

                    Elisabeth Wilson
                    Lenah Valley, Tasmania
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 30, 2013
                      Hi Elizabeth,

                      Many thanks for the following email.    Yes that is my chap 1845 but really wanted to find him arriving however grateful to find the 1845 entry.   Interesting chap and is my gtgtgrandfather may have missed a gt there.

                      I appreciate your kindness looking  at the records.  No he wasn’t a seaman but I am wondering as he was living in Peterhead Scotland if this might have a bearing on things.
                      I will keep looking one of these days I will find something.
                      You would think the LDS would have kepted a couple of old computers up and running so to use the CD’s.     I now wonder if the British Islaes Vital Records etc will work as my old computer died will this new updated one accept the above.
                      Very grateful  if you manage to have a look at the CD provided it can be worked.

                      Many thanks
                      Marie