RE: [Peterhead] Seaman list

  • Christine Tregonning
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013

      Hi Gwen,

      I know that you directed your question to Wade but I think that maybe a cooper is a person who makes barrels. Perhaps they maintained the barrels containing supplies for the ship or for ships cargo.

      Regards,

      Christine

      From: Wade Buchan <wsb@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "'haworth.jill'" <jial@...>

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
        Hello Gweneth,
        A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.

        Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
        Jill
      • Gweneth Myers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

          G'day Mary
          Thanks for this information.  I have a Colin McKenzie who was an apprentice cooper, aged 17 years in the 1841 census.  It didn't occur to me he may in later years have been a seaman with that trade.
          Cheers
          Gweneth
          Melbourne

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
            Thanks for that Christine,

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

              Hi Gwenth,

              You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

              Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

              Regards,

              Wade.