RE: [Peterhead] Seaman list

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013

      From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Peterhead@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of haworth.jill
      Sent: Saturday, 19 January 2013 12:02 AM
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Peterhead] Seaman list

      Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
      Jill

    • Gweneth Myers
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
        Hello Wade

        Can you please tell me what is a cooper on the naval ship?
        Cheers
        Gwen Myers
        Melbourne

        Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
        Jill
      • Christine Tregonning
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013

          Hi Gwen,

          I know that you directed your question to Wade but I think that maybe a cooper is a person who makes barrels. Perhaps they maintained the barrels containing supplies for the ship or for ships cargo.

          Regards,

          Christine

          Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
          Jill

        • ali1998mar
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
            Hello Gweneth,
            A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

              G'day Mary
              Thanks for this information.  I have a Colin McKenzie who was an apprentice cooper, aged 17 years in the 1841 census.  It didn't occur to me he may in later years have been a seaman with that trade.
              Cheers
              Gweneth
              Melbourne

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
                Thanks for that Christine,

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

                  Hi Gwenth,

                  You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

                  Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

                  Regards,

                  Wade.