Seaman list

  • haworth.jill
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
      Jill
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013

        Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
        Jill

      • Gweneth Myers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hello Wade

          Can you please tell me what is a cooper on the naval ship?
          Cheers
          Gwen Myers
          Melbourne

          Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
          Jill
        • Christine Tregonning
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 20, 2013

            Hi Gwen,

            I know that you directed your question to Wade but I think that maybe a cooper is a person who makes barrels. Perhaps they maintained the barrels containing supplies for the ship or for ships cargo.

            Regards,

            Christine

            Hello Wade: Do you have any information on John Slessor, b-1816 Peterhead...ticket number 114212, on Seaman's List
            Jill

          • ali1998mar
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
              Hello Gweneth,
              A cooper was a very busy man if he was aboard a whaling ship.  The blubber was stored in barrels once it had been removed from the whale, the cooper would have fitted the end or "top" when the barrels were full.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

                G'day Mary
                Thanks for this information.  I have a Colin McKenzie who was an apprentice cooper, aged 17 years in the 1841 census.  It didn't occur to me he may in later years have been a seaman with that trade.
                Cheers
                Gweneth
                Melbourne

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013
                  Thanks for that Christine,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 21, 2013

                    Hi Gwenth,

                    You don’t find many coopers at sea, as Mary suggested John Slessor was probably aboard a whaling ship.

                    Most coopers were on land and could have also travelled down the coast to Yarmouth, following the herring and fishing boats.

                    Regards,

                    Wade.