Re: FW: Captains Murray of Peterhead, Dangerous Work and Arthur Conan Doyle

  • Colin Murray
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
      Thanks for flagging the publication up Ian, Its a book that I had hoped would be published sometime so got straight on the net and ordered it, my copy has just turned up so something for the dark evenings.
      Just plowing my way through the newspapers that have been released through the findmypast.co.uk site, and as you would expect it is time consuming and a little frustrating. Have found the entry for the death / obituary of Captain Alex. Murray (1828-1894) from the Aberdeen Journal dated Wednesday 01 August 1894 but frustratingly it appears to be cross referenced to the wrong page so all I have so far is the precis from the search engine:
      Captain Alexander Murray was a, native of Peterhead, and entered his profession at the age of twelve years, serving hia apprenticeship on board the Reliance. After a service of eight years in thc Southern seas, young Murray in 1860 became one of..........

      I've downloaded the whole paper so its just a case of trawling through the fine print now.

      Colin
    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
        Colin (or for anyone else that is interested in the subject)

        The full article from the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4, reads as follows:

        "An old Peterhead captain has just been taken from our midst.  Captain Alexander Murray was a native of Peterhead, and entered his profession at the age of twelve years, serving his apprenticeship on board the Reliance.  After a service of eight years in the Southern seas, young Murray in 1850 became one of the crew under Sir John Ross which set out in search of the missing Franklin expedition.  After his return Mr Murray tried the whale fishing, and through perseverance and energy he gradually gained promotion, until 28 years ago he got command of the whaler Alert of Peterhead.  After a voyage or two with her he took command of various other vessels, and his last whaling command was the Perseverance about six years ago, although three years ago he went out with the Alert to Cumberland Gulf with stores for Mr Noble, and brought home produce.  Captain Murray was well respected, and considered a skilful navigator, and his death at the age of 64 years has been much regretted."

        Regards.

        Alison

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
          Thank you very much for that Alison,

          Think I must have gone word blind I've got the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4 (pdf file) in front of me and I still can't see the article, it starts with 'A chapter of tradgedies' and ends with 'Election News' and nothing in between about Alex. Murray, so guess its magnifying glass time again then.

          Thanks again Alison
        • Alison Kennedy
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
            Colin

            There were a several versions of the Aberdeen Journal printed and I might be looking at a slightly different version to the one you are looking at, as my source is Gale Newspapers as opposed to FindMyPast which I take it you have used, and this might explain why its appearing on page 5, col 4 in my edition and not yours!  Can you see a column somewhere headed "Aberdeen District Gossip" if so scroll down until you see a sub-heading "Buchan" and you should (hopefully) see the article.

            Hope this helps.

            Alison

            Think I must have gone word blind I've got the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4 (pdf file) in front of me and I still can't see the article, it starts with 'A chapter of tradgedies' and ends with 'Election News' and nothing in between about Alex. Murray, so guess its magnifying glass time again then.

            Thanks again Alison

            _
          • Colin Murray
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
              Thanks for the gen Alison.

              I've looked through most of the paper now and as far as I can see there is no "Aberdeen District Gossip" anywhere, nearest to that is "District News" so looks like FindMyPast/The British Library Board have got the right paper but cross linked the search to the wrong edition, i'll have to contact them about it. I'll have a look at the Gale Newspapers site, notice that appears to be in association with the British Library Board as well.

              Colin