Re: [Peterhead] Peterhead Visit

  • MARGIE DAVIDSON
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012

      Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.

      Margie

      From: Mopar Man <moparman4@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

      Many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in on this thread.

      I’ll definitely hit the ANESFHS in Aberdeen and the Central Library if there’s time (I’ve only got a couple complete days in Aberdeen). In Peterhead, it still sounds like the FHSB is going to be a must and I’ll add in the registrar if I can and see where else comes up.

      I’ll definitely be hitting the Castle in Edinburgh and now the Hall of Remembrance (never heard of it before this) is now a must-see since we’ve got two great uncles who were killed during World War I.

      Can someone tell me what I can expect at the Scotland’s People Center? Is I pretty much like using their website? I know I can search more modern records in person, but is there a lot of other stuff there that’s not available on line?

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

        > Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.
        >

        > Margie
        >

        > ________________________________

        Oops - it's not the Hall of Remembrance (got mixed up with Yad Vashem) it's the Scottish National War Memorial! The details are the same though.
        Happy hunting
        Maggie McGregor
      • JOHN SMITH
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
          Hi Gwen

          I note you were researching the Campbell line in Findochty; my grandmother was a Campbell from Lossiemouth and my mother (still alive at 85) tells the story that the family who were originally part farmers part fishermen from Kyle of Lochalsh were forced from there homes during the highland clearances, they took their belongings and walked all the way to the east coast and arrived at Findochty, half of them settled there, the other half continued up the coast and settled in Lossiemouth where they successfully pioneered the seine type of fishing on the east coast.
          John Smith

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 4, 2012
            Greetings Margie,

            If you find that you have any connection to a James Davidson and Janet Cheyne (going back to 1600's), please let me know. I'm a distant descendant of James and Janet's son, William who was apparently born in Peterhead in 1668 but emigrated to America. I'm hopeful one day before I depart this planet I might find a relation back in the Scotland. I can't imagine Peterhead is all that large and while there are quite a few Davidsons there, maybe someone has their lineage traced back to the 1600's.

            Cheers,

            Bill