RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead Visit

  • Gweneth Myers
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012

      I’ll definitely hit the ANESFHS in Aberdeen and the Central Library if there’s time (I’ve only got a couple complete days in Aberdeen). In Peterhead, it still sounds like the FHSB is going to be a must and I’ll add in the registrar if I can and see where else comes up.

      I’ll definitely be hitting the Castle in Edinburgh and now the Hall of Remembrance (never heard of it before this) is now a must-see since we’ve got two great uncles who were killed during World War I.

      Can someone tell me what I can expect at the Scotland’s People Center? Is I pretty much like using their website? I know I can search more modern records in person, but is there a lot of other stuff there that’s not available on line?

      From: Mopar Man <moparman4@...>
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

      Many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in on this thread.

    • Margaret Geddes
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
        Dear Gwebeth

        Peterhead@yahoogroups.com are very helpful along with the Family history societies. If you have the ancestor approx date of birth and where (in Scotland) then you will be able to get that starting point from Scotlandspeople site. Although you have to pay for the information, it can lead to the next generation on mother and father side. If you are lucky you can sometimes find a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, which the familysocieties have access to as well. As some of my relatives were buried in Peterhead I had access to death records and burial records of Peterhead cemetry and Constitution cemetry, from another site called deceased online. Again you have to pay but it is qualifying your search. Hopfully your ancestor has been researched from another line and there is a link to your family, as I was very lucky with my husband's ancestors who go back as far as 1799 on one side 1748 and before on the other side.  I have no Campbell's though, but enjoy researching and you will get help. Good luck and happy hunting.
        Margaret Geddes

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012
          Had a look at families on display today and laughed - your Buchan family occupy a whole board with photographs of the sons- one Robert was known as Baker Bob and the shop is still there although vastly changed but we do have a photo of the shop as it was with a horse and cart outside it - we even know who is sitting on the cart!

          The Peter Buchan/ Jane May line was one of the Buchan ones on display last year and is now in a folder you can browse through- it comes into my own line.

          We have a large collection of photgraphs for the Doodie line. Diggal line, Balone line,Grays, Peekie and Chat. The other surnames with a large collection of photos include Strachan, Bruce, Milne, Baird and McLean.

          Margie

          From: Mopar Man <moparman4@...>
          Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead Visit
          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 5:48 PM

          I'll be visiting Peterhead, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in a little more than a month and I'd like to to a bit of genealogical research of my Wallace and Buchan ancestors while I'm there. Other than the Family History Society of Buchan in Pterhead and the Scotland's People center in Edinburgh what locations are worth stopping by?

        • Mopar Man
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012

            Margie, thanks much for all the efforts. I’m completely stoked to see these pictures. I’ve sent you an email with a couple of questions on the private thread we had going.

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012

              Thanks for the tips. I think it’s going to be difficult to balance research with sightseeing since this may be my only trip to Scotland. So it’s sounding like I may be sending my wife on with my uncle and aunt while I spend some time researching.

              I’m a member of FHSB but I’m wondering if I should buy a membership to ANESFH. Any opinions out there?

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012

                Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.

                Margie

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

                  > Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.
                  >

                  > Margie
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Oops - it's not the Hall of Remembrance (got mixed up with Yad Vashem) it's the Scottish National War Memorial! The details are the same though.
                  Happy hunting
                  Maggie McGregor
                • JOHN SMITH
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
                    Hi Gwen

                    I note you were researching the Campbell line in Findochty; my grandmother was a Campbell from Lossiemouth and my mother (still alive at 85) tells the story that the family who were originally part farmers part fishermen from Kyle of Lochalsh were forced from there homes during the highland clearances, they took their belongings and walked all the way to the east coast and arrived at Findochty, half of them settled there, the other half continued up the coast and settled in Lossiemouth where they successfully pioneered the seine type of fishing on the east coast.
                    John Smith

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 4, 2012
                      Greetings Margie,

                      If you find that you have any connection to a James Davidson and Janet Cheyne (going back to 1600's), please let me know. I'm a distant descendant of James and Janet's son, William who was apparently born in Peterhead in 1668 but emigrated to America. I'm hopeful one day before I depart this planet I might find a relation back in the Scotland. I can't imagine Peterhead is all that large and while there are quite a few Davidsons there, maybe someone has their lineage traced back to the 1600's.

                      Cheers,

                      Bill