RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead Visit

  • Mopar Man
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2012

      Thanks, Bill!

      We’re definitely going to the castle in Edinburgh. I’m going with my wife, uncle and aunt so I’m going to try and separate from the group at least half a day in Edinburgh to hit ScotlandsPeople since I can research stuff there that I can’t do on line from the US. I’m a member of the Society of Buchan so I’ll stop by for sure but some advice from people still living in these areas would be awesome.

      From: Mopar Man <moparman4@...>
      Subject: [Peterhead] Peterhead Visit
      To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 5:48 PM

      I'll be visiting Peterhead, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in a little more than a month and I'd like to to a bit of genealogical research of my Wallace and Buchan ancestors while I'm there. Other than the Family History Society of Buchan in Pterhead and the Scotland's People center in Edinburgh what locations are worth stopping by?

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2012
        There is also the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society (see http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/). Their headquarters is at 158-164 King Street, Aberdeen. I have found them very helpful whenever I have visited there. They include the Peterhead area, and have a well-stocked library, as they have been going longer than the FHSB.
        And in Peterhead itself, if you are interested in cemetery records, there is the Registrar's office, but you need to make an appointment to visit it.

        Mary

        On 30/07/2012, at 7:48 AM, Mopar Man wrote:

        I'll be visiting Peterhead, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in a little more than a month and I'd like to to a bit of genealogical research of my Wallace and Buchan ancestors while I'm there. Other than the Family History Society of Buchan in Pterhead and the Scotland's People center in Edinburgh what locations are worth stopping by?

        Mary Barnes

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2012
          When you are in Aberdeen, would suggest you try visiting the Local Studies Information Centre of the Central Library, Rosemount Viaduct - tel. 01224 652512 - www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/libraries - opening hours are Monday & Wednesday 9am - 8pm; Tuesday, Thursday to Saturday 9am - 5pm.

          The Library holds an excellent amount of newspapers on microfilm which are extremely helpful when looking for information on ancestors.  Unfortunately there is no index for these and therefore you will need to take a list of names and important dates that you wish to search for.  More information on the extent of the newspapers can be obtained from their website.  Use of the facility is free and no need to be a member of the library but you will need to pay for any printouts - currently 10p for A4 and 20p for A3.

          Other suggestions for visits would be the (a) Gordon Highlanders Museum - www.gordonhighlanders.com  (b) The Aberdeenshire Library and Information Service, Oldmeldrum - www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/libraries/information/local_studies.asp   and (c) Aberdeen Maritime Museum  www.aberdeenships.com

          Hope these help.

          Alison

          There is also the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society (see http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/). Their headquarters is at 158-164 King Street, Aberdeen. I have found them very helpful whenever I have visited there. They include the Peterhead area, and have a well-stocked library, as they have been going longer than the FHSB.
          And in Peterhead itself, if you are interested in cemetery records, there is the Registrar's office, but you need to make an appointment to visit it.

          Mary

          On 30/07/2012, at 7:48 AM, Mopar Man wrote:

          I'll be visiting Peterhead, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in a little more than a month and I'd like to to a bit of genealogical research of my Wallace and Buchan ancestors while I'm there. Other than the Family History Society of Buchan in Peterhead and the Scotland's People center in Edinburgh what locations are worth stopping by?

        • margaret339587
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Mopar Man" <moparman4@...> wrote:

            > I'll be visiting Peterhead, Aberdeen and Edinburgh in a little more than a month and I'd like to to a bit of genealogical research of my Wallace and Buchan ancestors while I'm there. Other than the Family History Society of Buchan in Pterhead and the Scotland's People center in Edinburgh what locations are worth stopping by?

            If you visit the castle, be sure to see the Hall of Remembrance. It holds books containing the names of all those Scots men and women who died in the Great War and WW2. If you have a relative who died in either of these they will be there - I have been and it is very moving.
            Good luck with your searching!
          • Elisabeth Wilson
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012
              At 09:40 AM 30/07/2012, you wrote:

              There is also the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society (see http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/). Their headquarters is at 158-164 King Street, Aberdeen. I have found them very helpful whenever I have visited there. They include the Peterhead area, and have a well-stocked library, as they have been going longer than the FHSB.

              Couldn't agree more - it's a great place.

              And in Peterhead itself, if you are interested in cemetery records, there is the Registrar's office, but you need to make an appointment to visit it.

              I was fortunate and just walked in off the street. The cemetery itself is then easy to search, as the Registrar has the location of the lairs.

              I also found the people at the Arbuthnot museum and library really helpful too.

              Enjoy your trip!

              Elisabeth

              Elisabeth Wilson
              Lenah Valley, Tasmania
              researching GORDON (Peterhead) GIBB (Peterhead) YOUNG (Slains/Cruden) SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)

            • Billy D
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012
                Too bad I didn't know my most distant known ancestors  were from Peterhead/Aberdeenshire (James Davidson/Janet Cheyne) when I was stationed over there, I would have loved to have visited all these areas and probably could of found some interesting tid-bits of information or met a distant relative or two.

                Cheers

                Bill

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 30, 2012

                  Many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in on this thread.

                  I’ll definitely hit the ANESFHS in Aberdeen and the Central Library if there’s time (I’ve only got a couple complete days in Aberdeen). In Peterhead, it still sounds like the FHSB is going to be a must and I’ll add in the registrar if I can and see where else comes up.

                  I’ll definitely be hitting the Castle in Edinburgh and now the Hall of Remembrance (never heard of it before this) is now a must-see since we’ve got two great uncles who were killed during World War I.

                  Can someone tell me what I can expect at the Scotland’s People Center? Is I pretty much like using their website? I know I can search more modern records in person, but is there a lot of other stuff there that’s not available on line?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                    Hi,

                    Don't know when this thread started but if interested the photographic display is open till end August - before you make an appointment with the registrar check out the Family History centre first as we hold numerous records you can access for much less particularly if the family you are researching had any fishing links.

                    If you wish to letme know when you are to be in Peteread I can orgainise times for you

                    Margie

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012

[...]

                      G'day
                      I was at Scotlandspeople back in 2009.  My advice would be to have a plan of what you want to research as you have limited time. Find out what you need to look for by visiting the website.  In 2009, it was better to make a booking and I rang them from the place I was staying to make an all day booking.  They are helpful and will set you up. There is usually a queue at the place first up, but if you have made a booking you can go straight in.  At the end of the first day, I made a booking for the next few days which you have to pay for upfront.  There are limited computers.  The building next door is very interesting and houses records from court sessions.  I have forgotten its name but I'm sure someone can tell you on this forum but you need time to read through things which you haven't got.

                      One line I was researching was "Campbell" in a fishing village called Findochty and when I visited the cemetery, I took photos of every headstone with that name for future reference.  No doubt there would be many unmarked graves.  The information on the headstone can prove invaluable further down the track.

                      The Aberdeen (ANESFH) people in King Street are really wonderful (I've been an overseas member there for years) but check out their website as well before you go.  They do have members' family pedigree charts which could be useful to you.

                      I have had several visits to Scotland and to try researching with limited time is difficult and can be overwhelming if you haven't put in  some ground work before you get there.  My trip in 2009 was fairly well planned but when I got home, I found some vital information on deceased-online regarding the location of a grave of my gg-grandparents.  I was at the right cemetery but the grave was unmarked, naturally I had to visit again in 2011 so I could put  a little Australian flag on their grave!

                      Good luck with the visit - it is wonderful to see where our ancestors came from and walk on the streets they did, see the houses where they lived.
                      Cheers
                      Gwen
                      Melbourne, Aus

                      Many thanks to everyone who’s chimed in on this thread.

                    • Margaret Geddes
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 31, 2012
                        Dear Gwebeth

                        Peterhead@yahoogroups.com are very helpful along with the Family history societies. If you have the ancestor approx date of birth and where (in Scotland) then you will be able to get that starting point from Scotlandspeople site. Although you have to pay for the information, it can lead to the next generation on mother and father side. If you are lucky you can sometimes find a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, which the familysocieties have access to as well. As some of my relatives were buried in Peterhead I had access to death records and burial records of Peterhead cemetry and Constitution cemetry, from another site called deceased online. Again you have to pay but it is qualifying your search. Hopfully your ancestor has been researched from another line and there is a link to your family, as I was very lucky with my husband's ancestors who go back as far as 1799 on one side 1748 and before on the other side.  I have no Campbell's though, but enjoy researching and you will get help. Good luck and happy hunting.
                        Margaret Geddes

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012
                          Had a look at families on display today and laughed - your Buchan family occupy a whole board with photographs of the sons- one Robert was known as Baker Bob and the shop is still there although vastly changed but we do have a photo of the shop as it was with a horse and cart outside it - we even know who is sitting on the cart!

                          The Peter Buchan/ Jane May line was one of the Buchan ones on display last year and is now in a folder you can browse through- it comes into my own line.

                          We have a large collection of photgraphs for the Doodie line. Diggal line, Balone line,Grays, Peekie and Chat. The other surnames with a large collection of photos include Strachan, Bruce, Milne, Baird and McLean.

                          Margie

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012

                            Margie, thanks much for all the efforts. I’m completely stoked to see these pictures. I’ve sent you an email with a couple of questions on the private thread we had going.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 1, 2012

                              Thanks for the tips. I think it’s going to be difficult to balance research with sightseeing since this may be my only trip to Scotland. So it’s sounding like I may be sending my wife on with my uncle and aunt while I spend some time researching.

                              I’m a member of FHSB but I’m wondering if I should buy a membership to ANESFH. Any opinions out there?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012

                                Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.

                                Margie

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
                                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, MARGIE DAVIDSON <margiedavidson@...> wrote:

                                  > Time enough to do that when you get here - see how you get on first as there may be better avenues than another Family History society.
                                  >

                                  > Margie
                                  >

                                  > ________________________________

                                  Oops - it's not the Hall of Remembrance (got mixed up with Yad Vashem) it's the Scottish National War Memorial! The details are the same though.
                                  Happy hunting
                                  Maggie McGregor
                                • JOHN SMITH
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 2, 2012
                                    Hi Gwen

                                    I note you were researching the Campbell line in Findochty; my grandmother was a Campbell from Lossiemouth and my mother (still alive at 85) tells the story that the family who were originally part farmers part fishermen from Kyle of Lochalsh were forced from there homes during the highland clearances, they took their belongings and walked all the way to the east coast and arrived at Findochty, half of them settled there, the other half continued up the coast and settled in Lossiemouth where they successfully pioneered the seine type of fishing on the east coast.
                                    John Smith

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 4, 2012
                                      Greetings Margie,

                                      If you find that you have any connection to a James Davidson and Janet Cheyne (going back to 1600's), please let me know. I'm a distant descendant of James and Janet's son, William who was apparently born in Peterhead in 1668 but emigrated to America. I'm hopeful one day before I depart this planet I might find a relation back in the Scotland. I can't imagine Peterhead is all that large and while there are quite a few Davidsons there, maybe someone has their lineage traced back to the 1600's.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bill