Peterhead Davidson/Davison Ancestors

  • lost_without_me
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2012
      Greetings,

      It would be great to hear from any Davidson/Davisons who show ancestors who emigrated to the USA in 1684/1685. I am researching William Davi(d)son who emigrated to America in 1684/85 and married Margaret Oliphant. I show William's father to be James Davidson, I would imagine was born in the early 1600's. I do show William may have been born in Peterhead but not certain of his father's birth.

      Any information would be appreciated and any male Davidson's from the area who would be willing to participate in YDNA testing would also be helpful in tracing these family lines and linking ancestors. I don't see any Davison/Davidsons who actually trace back to the Aberdeenshire area which is the most logical reason I'm not able to find any matches yet.

      Cheers.

      Bill
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2012
        Hi Bill,

        I have Davidsons from Peterhead among my ancestors, but I haven't been able to trace any of them as far back as the 17th century, so I don't know if this will be of any use to you.

        One of my gg-grandmothers was Janet Davidson (also known, I am told, as "Black Janet"). She was born about 1794 in Crimond, Aberdeenshire. Her father was William Davidson, a crofter, and her mother was Janet Crighton or Creighton. I have no birthplaces or birthdates for either of them. Nor do I know anything of any brothers or sisters Janet may have had. In Peterhead in 1822, Janet Davidson married Robert Stephen, a sailor or fisherman, and they lived and brought up a family in Boddam. The 1851 Scottish census shows Janet as a widow, supporting herself as a lodging-house keeper in Ronheads (Peterhead). She died in Aberdeen in 1884.

        Given traditional Scottish naming systems, Janet's father's name suggests a slight possibility of a relationship to your William Davidson - on the other hand, William was a very common first name, and Davidson was also common in the Peterhead area, so it may mean nothing.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • Billy D
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2012
          Greetings Mary:

          Thank you for the information and you are correct, William Davidson/Davison is very common as is Robert, James, John, Andrew, etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed that a Davidson in that area has a family history that goes back to the early 1600's or maybe the right one will come up from YDNA testing matches.