RE: [Peterhead] Alex Ritchie

  • William E Scheyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2012
      Wow:

      My Great Great Grandfather's mother was Mary Elizabeth Sangster. She died
      5-Feb-1878 in Rupanyup Victoria Australia. Mary migrated to Australia in
      1861 with her husband, James Florence, and 3 children. My great great
      grandfather was Captain Robert Davidson (Shipmaster) born in Peterhead on
      October 28, 1840 and past away on January 12, 1904 in Dundee. During his
      life, he captained many whaling ships such as the "Polar Star" and "Diana"
      and was the Captain of the "Diana" during the Dundee Antarctic Expedition of
      1892-93. So, perhaps Leonie Harding and I are related. I would sure like to
      fill in the blanks. My Great Great Grandfather's father was also a seaman
      but, I know very little about him.

      William E. Scheyer
      USA

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2012
        I noted your message, Leonie, regarding Wm Gray Jr. etc. His parents Wm Gray and Christian Sangster are my GGGG Uncle and Aunt. Wm Gray's brother, Thomas 1769-1829 & Elizabeth Bisset are my GGGG Grandparents.
        My notes on Wm Gray Jr: Supposedly sailed in his own ship to Australia in 1851.
        Died tragically in a mining accident at the age of 48 - known as Capt.Wm Gray.
        I do have a website it that would be of any help.
        Regards
        DeLories Vaughn

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Leonie Harding <leonieharding@...> wrote:

        > Hi Alex
        > In your reply to David Davidson re the Grays you mention William Gray, (son of William Gray and Christian Sangster). He is my paternal great great grandfather.
        > Do you have any further information about him, when and where he came to Australia etc.?
        > Any help would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Leonie Harding

      • Leonie Harding
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2012
          Hi DeLories

          Yes, I would be interested in your website. What is it?

          Do you know the name of Capt. William Gray's ship that he sailed to Australia on?