Seamen's records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14 12:47 AM
      For Betty Holmes, Bruce Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

      No. 114258
      James Reid
      Born at: New Spynie County: Murray Date of birth: 24 October, 1797
      Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5ins Hair: Brown
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1838
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead On; 20 March 1845
      Age when ticketed: 48 Can write: Yes

      (I don�t know the area - it looked like New Spynie!)

      For Val Lowrie

      No. 114261
      James Davidson
      Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of birth: 1 May 1803
      Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Brown
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1824
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead on: 24 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 42 Can write: Yes

      For Eve Coppen

      No. 114263
      James Begrie
      Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 22 October 1829
      Capacity: Apprentice Height 5ft � (sic!) Hair: Light
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1843
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at Peterhead On 24 March 1845
      Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

      For Jeanine Bruce, Greig Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

      No. 114265
      John Reid
      Born at: Rathven County: Banff Date of Birth: 15 March 1829
      Capacity: Seaman Height 5ft � Hair: Light
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1843
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead On 27 March 1845
      Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

      For Alex Ritchie

      No. 114268
      William Cow
      Born at: Crimond County: Aldren Date of Birth: 8 January 1815
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 1 � ins Hair: Black
      Complexion: Sallow Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1831
      When unemployed resides at: Burnhaven
      Issued at Peterhead On 29 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 30 Can write: Yes

      For Wade

      No. 114270
      John Davidson
      Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: ? March 1830
      (Could be a �3�, but it�s indistinct)
      Capacity: Apprentice Height: 5ft 2 � ins Hair: Light
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Black Marks; None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1845
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead On 31 March 1845
      Age when ticketed: 15 Can write: Yes

      For Sharon Inkster and Eve Coppen

      No. 114277
      George Mitchell
      Born at: Aberdeen County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 24 April, 1808
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Lt. Brown
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1819
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead On: 14 April, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 37 Can write: Yes

      and last, but by no means least�

      for Val Lowrie

      No. 114290
      James Cruickshanks
      Born at: Ellon County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: (blank) July, 1819
      Capacity: Landsman Height: 5ft 7 � ins Hair: Black
      Complexion: Ruddy Eyes: Dark Marks: None
      First went to sea as: (blank) In the year: 1841
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Peterhead On: 1 May, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 26 Can write: Yes

      I hope I haven�t left anyone out and that, again, some of them will be
      the people you were hoping they would be.

      Best wishes,
      Judy
    • James Durno Mitchell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15 1:02 PM
        Thank you for the information about George Mitchell my great grandfather,
        any other tit-bits would be more than welcome.
        Durno Mitchell