Re: Digest Number 1297

  • Bill Morrison
    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2012
      Hi Alex, Jane and Brian,

      Thought I would reply to the group in case any one else from our era
      wants to join in.

      My Aunt was Mrs Nellie May nee Morrison, she taught at the Central
      School from ca 1923 until she retired in 1964 although for some of
      those years presumably she wasn't able to teach because married women
      were not allowed to. She married Geo May in 1938. Geo's sister was
      Miss Bess May who was the famous music teacher and organist at the
      Muckle Kirk and later at the West Church? where Geo was an elder for 35
      years. She played the organ at my Christening at the Muckle Kirk in
      1946.

      Miss May lived in Landale Road in a house built by her father, John
      May, before the War. Geo May and his father were fine golfers, both
      won the Peterhead Open in the interwar years, Geo in 1929 and his
      father twice in early twenties I think.

      Does anyone remember Miss Strachan who taught Bruce and myself at the
      Chuckenies. The only other people I remember at the Chuckenies in
      1951/2 were Peter Duncan whose family were fish curers and John George
      Wilson who lived in Love Lane, I remember very clearly listening to
      the broadcast announcing the death King George VI which came on after
      Listen with Mother on 6th February 1952.

      My father worked for BP and we went to Kent later in 1952 where I was
      brought up. The last of that generation of my family in Peterhead ,
      Geo May, died in 1989 at th age of 86.

      I have attached, assuming that is allowed, a photo taken at my Aunt's
      Silver Wedding party in1963: Back row from left to right Mrs Bert May,
      Miss Bess May, Bert May (Geo May's brother who was a solicitor in
      Aberdeen). Front row Mrs Nell May, Geo May and Mrs Phyllis Goode nee
      May.

      Regards

      Bill Morrison