Re: Digest Number 1297

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 9:55 AM
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "blue_bear_with_a_whistle" <blue_bear_with_a_whistle@...> wrote:

      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "blue_bear_with_a_whistle" <blue_bear_with_a_whistle@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Ritchie" <alex@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello Bill,
      > > > Yes, you've reminded me of a few things.
      > > > We had a music teacher at school called Miss May. I
      > > > think she may have been one of the same May family. She lived in Landale
      > > > Road.
      > > > I remember a friend from years ago called Brian
      > > > Elder. Would he have been Bruce Elder's brother ?
      > > > We left Peterhead in 1964, just after we got
      > > > married. However we still visit regularly because most of our families still
      > > > live there.
      > > > Good to hear from you.
      > > >
      > > > Alex Ritchie

      Hi There, Yes, my dad ran "Coastal Cars" with a guy called Tom Barclay who was a manager in the Cleveland Twist Drill Company. I remember Brian very well and am pleased that he remembers me. He would also have known Jeannie Cross (who became my wife way back in 1964).
      I seem to remember it was MISS May rather than Mrs.May ??

      Alex Ritchie
    • Bill Morrison
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13 1:22 PM
        Hi Alex, Jane and Brian,

        Thought I would reply to the group in case any one else from our era
        wants to join in.

        My Aunt was Mrs Nellie May nee Morrison, she taught at the Central
        School from ca 1923 until she retired in 1964 although for some of
        those years presumably she wasn't able to teach because married women
        were not allowed to. She married Geo May in 1938. Geo's sister was
        Miss Bess May who was the famous music teacher and organist at the
        Muckle Kirk and later at the West Church? where Geo was an elder for 35
        years. She played the organ at my Christening at the Muckle Kirk in
        1946.

        Miss May lived in Landale Road in a house built by her father, John
        May, before the War. Geo May and his father were fine golfers, both
        won the Peterhead Open in the interwar years, Geo in 1929 and his
        father twice in early twenties I think.

        Does anyone remember Miss Strachan who taught Bruce and myself at the
        Chuckenies. The only other people I remember at the Chuckenies in
        1951/2 were Peter Duncan whose family were fish curers and John George
        Wilson who lived in Love Lane, I remember very clearly listening to
        the broadcast announcing the death King George VI which came on after
        Listen with Mother on 6th February 1952.

        My father worked for BP and we went to Kent later in 1952 where I was
        brought up. The last of that generation of my family in Peterhead ,
        Geo May, died in 1989 at th age of 86.

        I have attached, assuming that is allowed, a photo taken at my Aunt's
        Silver Wedding party in1963: Back row from left to right Mrs Bert May,
        Miss Bess May, Bert May (Geo May's brother who was a solicitor in
        Aberdeen). Front row Mrs Nell May, Geo May and Mrs Phyllis Goode nee
        May.

        Regards

        Bill Morrison