Seamen's records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 1999
      I�m sorry I am running a week behind schedule, but the good news is that
      I got the information before I got the �flu, so here we go:

      These entries are all on LDS Film 1482548, being BT113/57-58

      For Val Lowrie

      No. 114206
      James Anderson Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeenshire
      Date of Birth: 14 September, 1821 Capacity: Cooper Height: 5ft 5 �
      ins
      Hair: Black Complexion: Dark Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the Year: 1835
      Served in the Royal Navy: 9 weeks
      Been in Foreign Service: No
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 24 Can write: Yes

      Please note that the above entry is the only one which had a positive
      response to the question "Has served in the Royal Navy?" - all the
      others said "No", and none of them had ever been in Foreign service, so
      I will leave these two questions out.

      For Wade

      No. 114211
      James Buchan Born at: St. Combs County: Aberdeenshire
      Date of Birth: 15 April, 1826 Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 6 � ins
      Hair: Light Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1837
      When unemployed resides at: St. Combs
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1945
      Age when ticketed: 19 Can write: Yes

      No: 114213
      Alexander Bruce Born at: St. Combs County: A/deen
      Date of Birth: 17 March 1827 Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 5 � ins
      Hair: Light Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Fisherman In the Year: 1837
      When unemployed resides at: St. Combs
      Issued at: A/deen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 18 Can write: Yes

      For Wade and Bruce Williams

      No. 114216
      Robert Reid
      Born at: Kirkwall County: Orkney Date of Birth: 5 June, 1802
      Capacity: Cook Height: 5ft 7ins
      Hair: Brown Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Cook In the year: 1840
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: A/deen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 43 Can write: Yes

      For Sharon Inkster

      No. 114229
      John Robertson
      Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 18 August, 1798
      Capacity: Carpenter Height 6ft 3 � ins (This is not a typing error, he
      really was this tall!)
      Hair: Brown Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Carpenter: In the year: 1821
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: A/deen On: 5 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 47 Can write: Yes

      For Alex Ritchie

      No. 114238
      Alexander Willox
      Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 15 July, 1824
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 6ins Hair: Black
      Complexion: Sallow Eyes: Grey Marks No
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1840
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at A/deen On:6 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 21 Can write: Yes

      For Susan Fairchild and Betty Holmes

      No. 114248
      Robert Ogston
      Born at: Peterhead County: A/deen Date of Birth: 24 July 1831
      Capacity: Apprentice Height: 4ft 10 ins Hair: Lt. Red
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: (this was left blank)
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: A/deen On: 7 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 14 Can write: Yes
    • Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 1999
        For Betty Holmes, Bruce Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

        No. 114258
        James Reid
        Born at: New Spynie County: Murray Date of birth: 24 October, 1797
        Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5ins Hair: Brown
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1838
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead On; 20 March 1845
        Age when ticketed: 48 Can write: Yes

        (I don�t know the area - it looked like New Spynie!)

        For Val Lowrie

        No. 114261
        James Davidson
        Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of birth: 1 May 1803
        Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Brown
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1824
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead on: 24 March, 1845
        Age when ticketed: 42 Can write: Yes

        For Eve Coppen

        No. 114263
        James Begrie
        Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 22 October 1829
        Capacity: Apprentice Height 5ft � (sic!) Hair: Light
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1843
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at Peterhead On 24 March 1845
        Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

        For Jeanine Bruce, Greig Williams, Alex Ritchie and Wade Buchan

        No. 114265
        John Reid
        Born at: Rathven County: Banff Date of Birth: 15 March 1829
        Capacity: Seaman Height 5ft � Hair: Light
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1843
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead On 27 March 1845
        Age when ticketed: 16 Can write: Yes

        For Alex Ritchie

        No. 114268
        William Cow
        Born at: Crimond County: Aldren Date of Birth: 8 January 1815
        Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 1 � ins Hair: Black
        Complexion: Sallow Eyes: Grey Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1831
        When unemployed resides at: Burnhaven
        Issued at Peterhead On 29 March, 1845
        Age when ticketed: 30 Can write: Yes

        For Wade

        No. 114270
        John Davidson
        Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: ? March 1830
        (Could be a �3�, but it�s indistinct)
        Capacity: Apprentice Height: 5ft 2 � ins Hair: Light
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Black Marks; None
        First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1845
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead On 31 March 1845
        Age when ticketed: 15 Can write: Yes

        For Sharon Inkster and Eve Coppen

        No. 114277
        George Mitchell
        Born at: Aberdeen County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 24 April, 1808
        Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 5 � ins Hair: Lt. Brown
        Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
        First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1819
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead On: 14 April, 1845
        Age when ticketed: 37 Can write: Yes

        and last, but by no means least�

        for Val Lowrie

        No. 114290
        James Cruickshanks
        Born at: Ellon County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: (blank) July, 1819
        Capacity: Landsman Height: 5ft 7 � ins Hair: Black
        Complexion: Ruddy Eyes: Dark Marks: None
        First went to sea as: (blank) In the year: 1841
        When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
        Issued at: Peterhead On: 1 May, 1845
        Age when ticketed: 26 Can write: Yes

        I hope I haven�t left anyone out and that, again, some of them will be
        the people you were hoping they would be.

        Best wishes,
        Judy
      • James Durno Mitchell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 15, 1999
          Thank you for the information about George Mitchell my great grandfather,
          any other tit-bits would be more than welcome.
          Durno Mitchell