Stephens

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
      For Dr.Elizabeth Holmes..

      Hello Betty, the Stephens in my wife's family originated in Inverallochy, then moving to Burnhaven and then eventually Peterhead itself (Just like my own Ritchie family).
      I have no indication that they are connected to your folks and think that such a connection is unlikely.
      However, for your interest :

      My wife's mother was Williamina Stephen.
      Her parents were David Buchan Stephen & Elsie Watt Buchan.
      David Stephen's parents were George Smith McGee Stephen & Helen Hepburn.
      George Stephen's parents were George Stephen & Catherine Cooper.
      George Stephen's parents were Alexander Stephen & Margaret May (Married in Rathen Parish on October 25th.1827).

      I can provide you with more details if you feel it might be of interest.
      Best Regards.............................Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 1999
        Hi Shelley,

        > >My husband's great great grandfather was James Stephen, born May 15, 1805
        > >who married Anne Cordiner, born Nov 22,1806. Their children were: Robert,
        > >born 1869, Alice born 1870, Susan Ann, born 1872, Henrietta born 1874, James
        > >Garden born 1876, William born 1878, Agnes born 1880, Thomas Hutchison, Born
        > >1881, George Craib born 1884, Elsie Gordon born 1887, Sarah Elizabeth born
        > >1889, and John Clark (our grandpa) born 1893. Robert Stephen was my
        > >husband's great-grandfather who emigrated to Maymont, Saskatchewan in the
        > >early 1900's.

        I tend to agree with Jim, that you must have missed some generations.
        Below is the family you gave, but with parents Robert and Alice Stephen.

        1881 Census:
        Dwelling: Jas Stephens Buildings On H Street Ground Floor
        Census Place: Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Source: FHL Film 0203465 GRO Ref Volume 232-2 EnumDist 1
        Page 43
        Marr Age Sex Birthplace
        Robt. STEPHEN M 39 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Head
        Occ: Boatbuilder
        Alice STEPHEN M 34 F Portsoy, Banff, Scotland
        Rel: Wife
        Robt. STEPHEN 12 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Son
        Occ: Scholar
        Alice STEPHEN 10 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau
        Occ: Scholar
        Susan Ann STEPHEN 8 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau
        Occ: Scholar
        Henrietta STEPHEN 6 F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau
        Occ: Scholar
        Jas.Garden STEPHEN 4 M Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Son
        Occ: Scholar
        Agnes Jane STEPHEN 11 m F Bdm, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Dau
        Eliza CRUICKSHANK U 15 F Phd, Aberdeen, Scotland
        Rel: Serv
        Occ: Dom Serv